Mayhem: What’s On?

Mayhem is one of the cornerstones of Nottingham’s film culture. Hosted by Broadway cinema, each year it brings a fascinating flavour of niche film-making to a wider audience. This is the perfect opportunity to broaden your horizons, but more than this, it’s a must-see event for film-enthusiasts full-stop. With 17 films shown in 4 days, there’s bound to be something which grabs your interest. So, without further ado, let’s go through the list of this year’s screenings.

Thursday 15th October
Screenings start at 19:00, and the festival kicks-off with Emelie. After this, at 20:45 we move to Future Shock! The Story of 2000AD, which details the origins of the radical British comic that brought us Judge Dredd! This will be accompanied by special guests Paul Goodwin (director), Sean Hogan (producer) as well as writers D’lsraeli and Ian Culbard. The evening finishes with an 23:30 showing of Rapid Dogs.

Friday 16th October
Moving into day 2, we have 4 more screenings. These include, Crumbs, Nina Forever, Howl and Stung, shown at 16:15, 18:30, 21:00 and 21:30. For those interested in getting a taste of Europe, Crumbs is a Spanish-Ethiopian post-apocalyptic science-fiction film, which looks set to impress. Furthermore, the Howl screening will be attended by none other than its director, Paul Howett!

Saturday 17th October
Parasyte: Part 1, He Never Died and Scary Shorts are just some of the selection on offer today, beginning at midday. But it’s not all screenings, there’s also a script reading for one of Hammer Productions lost films, The unquenchable thirst of Dracula. This was penned by none other than legendary writer/producer Anthony Hinds. The script would’ve been written for Christopher Lee, and promises to be an interesting read. This will be followed by Society at 22:30.

Sunday 18th October
Again, screenings start at midday, beginning with Deathgasm. Again, Mayhem will be welcoming special guests to the screenings. This time, producer/director Michal Kosakowski will be presenting his fascinating film German Angst. This is followed by The Witch, Aaaaaaaah! (with special guest Steve Oram) and The Invitation, bringing the festival to a satisfying conclusion.

Mayhem runs from the 15th to the 18th of October at Broadway cinema. Full festival passes can be purchased here, and tickets for individual screenings can be purchased on the day. This is a great way to get involved with the Nottingham community, whilst also enjoying some good films in the process. It is certainly not to be missed!

Joe Jones

Get in touch with us via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below