Gaming

Preview – Star Wars: Battlefront

The Beta for EA’s new Star Wars: Battlefront title came out on 8th October and received a lot of praise.

The game, which is set to be released in full on 17th November, has been on a rocky road since development began in 2013. Many people were upset that the game’s developers DICE, a subsidiary of EA, had decided not to include some of the features which had been central to the previous two games in the series. In particular, fuss was made over the limited single player content and the choice not to use space battles, which had been a major feature of the classic games.

“The pace is a little quicker than Battlefield and the maps that we have seen in this Beta don’t have quite the scale that occasionally threatens to overwhelm”

However, the release of the Beta has raised expectations of the game once more. The gameplay is a simple but effective first person shooter action, where it feels similar to that of DICE’s other big FPS series Battlefield. The pace is a little quicker than Battlefield and the maps that we have seen in this Beta don’t have quite the scale that occasionally threatens to overwhelm. Some of the key features which have been brought over from the previous games include the ability to play as heroes from the Star Wars universe and movie-inspired maps littered with vehicles to change the dynamic of any fight.

“Every detail of the maps are very well sculpted and prepared to make the gameplay even more fun”

The heroes include Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker and, although they are much more powerful than your average Stormtrooper, they are well balanced against the formidable vehicles and turrets which the player has access to. Another thing worth mentioning is that the graphics for this game look astounding. Every detail of the maps are very well sculpted and prepared to make the gameplay even more fun.

All in all, the game appears well made even at this stage and should settle a lot of people’s fears on the intentions of the developers. The game is also set to include lots of content from the original trilogy of films which should please fans of Star Wars and bring the stories to a new generation. It has all the potential to be an extremely enjoyable game when it comes out late next month (17th November 2015).

Seamus McDonnell

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter, and leave a comment below.

Gaming