Nottingham labelled drug dealing capital of England

In a recent study of drug related prosecutions, it has been revealed that Nottingham is the drug dealing capital of England and Wales.

Figures from the Mirror prove that Nottingham has a higher percentage of drug trafficking offences per 10,000 people than any other town or city in England or Wales.

In the 12 months leading up to June 2015, the local authority recorded 470 drug trafficking crimes. This translates as 15 crimes for every 10,000 people who live in the city.

The national average is 4.6 offences per 10,000 people – the figure for Nottingham is thus three times higher than the national average.

“Nottingham has quite a high student population which I think could affect the figures”

In a statement given to Impact, Nottinghamshire Police said: “Nottinghamshire Police has been very proactive in disrupting the supply of drugs by organised crime groups within the city of Nottingham in recent years. We have undertaken many successful covert operations which have resulted in the arrest and prosecution of individuals involved the trafficking of drugs, including a number who are currently facing trial at court now”.

They added that the high crime rate was reflective of the “confidence” the people of Nottingham have in their local police force: “[It] reflects the willingness of the public of Nottingham to report their suspicions about drug dealing and trafficking in their communities”.

Madeleine Green, a second year Zoology student, told Impact: “I am not surprised at the figures, Nottingham has quite a high student population which I think could affect the figures”.

Throughout England and Wales, 26,595 drug trafficking offences were recorded from June 2014 through to June 2015. This is an 8% fall in offences when compared to the figures from the previous year.

Several other towns from the Midlands were found to be in the top 20 locations with the most drug trafficking offences, including Leicester and Northampton, both with 9.7 offences per 10,000 people.

“I am actually quite shocked at Nottingham coming first place”

Nick Coombes, a second year Politics student, commented: “I am actually quite shocked at Nottingham coming first place. I would have thought that other university cities such as Manchester or Leeds would have had more offences per 10,000 people”.

The biggest increase in drugs trafficking offences came from Bath and North East Somerset, with the number of drugs trafficking offences rising nearly 5 times in 2015, from 34 offences up to 152 offences.

Newport came second in the table, with 14.4 drugs trafficking offences for every 10,000 people who live in the town.

Steven Green

Image: Steve Snodgrass via Flickr

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook