Uber Taxis scheme launched in Nottingham today

The taxi app Uber will be available to use from 4pm today.

After initial controversy the private hire firm was given the green light in the summer and has finally launched today.

The scheme uses a cashless system that allows customers to order and track cabs through an app on their smartphone.

The company’s general manager Max Lines is responsible for the Nottingham launch and stated: “Uber has been transforming the way people get about their cities all over the UK. At the push of a button, people can get a ride which is convenient, safe and affordable.”

It is an international app operational in 58 countries and allows the customer to register a payment card instead of using cash.

“I suppose in the absence of a licensed black cab system like in London, they are a good alternative but the company itself has serious flaws that should be taken seriously”

The system means that students who have no cash or have lost their purse/wallet are still able to get home safely after a night out.

Yiota Papouridou, a second year History and Politics student, commented: “I suppose in the absence of a licensed black cab system like in London, they are a good alternative but the company itself has serious flaws that should be taken seriously.”

Hannah Eves

Image: Flickr Jolseyshowaa

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter

• Taxi
    7 November 2015 at 08:50