Our top 5 Nottingham Christmas Market picks

1. The Wiltshire Chilli Farm

There is more to life than Tabasco or Extra Hot Nandos, there is Wiltshire Chilli Farm! Offering some intense flavour combos for you to try from the Mild Mango to the Hot Hot Hot Habanero, it is definitely worth a visit at the stalls this year.

Or if you have any friends who like to slap some spice on their sausages every now and again this stall offers a fiery festive gift to season their Christmas turkey. I would recommend the Cranberry Kick!

2. The Cherry Tree

Right next door to The Wiltshire Chilli farm is The Cherry Tree, a perfect palette pleaser after too many free chilli samples.

This is definitely one of my favourite stalls – the jams are amazing! My favourite has to be the Christmas Preserve (which I have used to make Christmas jam tarts) and the Pina Colada Curd is also amazing. Recommended to be eaten on pancakes, as a cheesecake topping, with meringue and cream and much more! They also sell a range of cheeses and chutneys, which you can mix and match and buy 3 for £12 or 5 for £20.

They also have a website you can visit to see what they produce at: www.cherrytreepreserves.co.uk.

3. Hot Chocolate Stand

Perfect for anyone with a sweet tooth, this stall offers a choice of different hot chocolates all using Cadbury’s hot chocolate and topped with whipped cream and marshmallows. Our favourites were the Vanilla Fudge Sundae (£3.50) and Crunchie Madness (£3).

Also on the menu are Dutch pancakes called Poffertjes, topped with your choice of Nutella, chocolate, cherry compote, strawberries, marshmallows and whipped cream for £3-4. These are a delicious alternative to crepes (and slightly easier to eat, especially when you have cold hands) and one of my favourite things I’ve eaten at the market.

4. The Green Kitchen

All I want for Christmas are The Green Kitchen’s Potatos roasted in duck fat! Just what a roast potato should be: fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside! For just £2.50 you can enjoy these delicious potatoes sprinkled with salt, or with sauces like mayonnaise and ketchup (but please don’t treat them like chips and smother them in sauce!!)

They also sell BBQ Chicken Sandwhich (£4) and Homemade Steak and Ale Stew (£5).

5. Reindeer and Ostrich Burger

Rudolf also made an appearance at the stalls this year with Jack Daniels Onions as a red nose and Stilton Mayonnaise as the snow.

That’s right, if you are not afraid of getting coal in your stocking head down to the Reindeer and Ostrich Burger stall. I tried the Reindeer burger and immediately sprouted green hair from my knuckles.

However you probably won’t find me with a bow and arrow stalking about in Wollaton Park any time soon. It tasted unsurprisingly gamey whilst also being seasoned with sage, another option is the Ostrich burger for the more classically beefy taste burger lovers out there. So if that’s your thing treat yourself to a little festive spirit only the Grinch would be proud of, starting at £4.50.

Sarah Fowler and Elissa Burgoine

Image via Flickr by Ben Salter

Come follow us! Instagram: @impactmagfood, Twitter: @impactfood

FoodFood Reviews