2016: Hot Or Not – Alice Through The Looking Glass

After the financial (if not critical) success of Disney and Tim Burton’s 2010 Alice in Wonderland, the film that spawned the success of the studio’s live-action remakes such as last year’s Cinderella, it comes as no surprise that 2016 brings the film adaptation of Lewis Carroll’s much-loved sequel: Alice Through the Looking Glass.

As with the first film, the adaptation will almost certainly take Carroll’s novel further, and bring the psychedelic and fantastical world of Wonderland to life in a way never seen before through stunning visual imagery and costumes.

The role of director is taken over by James Bobin with the return of Tim Burton only as producer, but nevertheless Through the Looking Glass promises to have the visual spectacle, and moments of ethereal madness usually seen in Burton films. This added with the supremely talented cast from Alice in Wonderland, including Helena Bonham Carter and Anne Hathaway as the Red and White Queens respectively, Mia Wasikowska as Alice, and of course, Burton’s staple use of Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter, Disney’s 2016 offering looks to be one of the hottest films of the year.

Plot-wise, the tale follows Alice’s return to Wonderland where it is her task to defeat the mysterious and powerful Lord of Time (played by Alice newcomer Sacha Baron Cohen), in order to save the Mad Hatter and stop the evil Red Queen from retaking the throne. The trailer tantalisingly reveals only the basics of the film’s plot, whilst retaining enough of the book’s content to interest even the most devout of fans.

So for fans of fantasy, magic, adventure and more than a dash of madness, Alice Through the Looking Glass will be the film for you, and certainly a one to watch in 2016!

Amy Wilcockson

Image sourced from Alice Through the Looking Glass, Walt Disney Pictures

Click here for more Features and News

For more articles from Film & TV, follow us on Facebook and Twitter.