2016: Hot or Not – Batman V Superman

Lets wave goodbye to 2015! Good times, bad times we’ve had them all – but you know what they say, as one door closes, another one opens. Over the coming month we’ll be bringing you a snapshot of everything 2016 has to offer – the good, the bad and the ugly. Hold on to your hats folks, it’s going to be a bumpy ride!

Not only one of 2016’s most highly anticipated films of which there are many, but also arguably the most promising entry into Warner Bros.’ DC Comics Extended Universe (DCEU), 2016’s Batman V Superman promises to build on 2013’s lukewarm Man of Steel in every way possible and explode the DCEU into a competitor to the established MCU.

The secret to this is of course, everyone’s favourite superhero (even if they disagree), Batman. Indeed it is entirely possible that Ben Affleck’s take on the Caped Crusader won’t live up to Christian Bale’s version, but it is heavily based on Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns storyline, right down to the costume and even a couple trailer shots. If the movie comes close to replicating the graphic novel, then audiences worldwide are definitely in for a treat.

The introduction of Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman is also compelling, and her involvement in BvS will be sure to make waves throughout the DCEU and set up her independent foray into the universe in 2017’s Wonder Woman. Barry Allen or The Flash, as portrayed by Ezra Miller, is also another character getting introduced in BvS ahead of his 2018 solo film and that is where the real value of Batman V Superman comes in: there is a heavy emphasis on world-building in preparation for the Justice League movie and the range of solo films that are due to come out before 2020, obviously intended to establish itself as superior to the MCU.

BvsS1

Jesse Eisenberg’s Lex Luthor looks to be an outstanding addition from the available trailers and acts as a secondary antagonist to the dreaded Doomsday. Though the revelation of Doomsday in the second trailer has received criticism, one can only hope that the team at Warner Bros. has a few more surprises up its sleeve. Regardless, this film is destined to be a hit at the box office and has the potential to be one of the best superhero movies in recent years.

Shaun Brewster

Click here for more Film Reviews

Get in touch with us via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below

Images from ‘Batman v Superman’, Warner Bro. Studios