Food

Restaurant Review: Revolución de Cuba

If you are looking for somewhere different to dine in the new year Nottingham’s recently opened tapas restaurant and bar, Revolución de Cuba, may be just what you are searching for. Situated on Market Street, it is the perfect place for live music, salsa, quality rum and of course, good food.

The restaurant serves a wide variety of traditional tapas, as well as larger plated dishes for around £11. If you are stuck for choice, I recommend the Paella de Cuba. Made with tender marinated chicken, chorizo, prawns and peppers instead of the more typical seafood ingredients, the dish is loaded with flavour and achieves just the right level of spice without blowing your taste buds. A vegetarian equivalent is also available for £9.

However, if you would rather a lighter bite, the restaurant offers a 3 for £13 deal on all of its tapas dishes between Monday and Thursday. Alternatively, a two for one offer is available on tapas, cocktails and coffees every Sunday until 10pm. I suggest trying the Serrano Ham Bruschetta and the Albondiga Picante (beef and pork meatballs) as personal favourites of the night.

The venue itself has been carefully crafted to embody the atmosphere of a Cuban Havana bar during the American prohibition. Intricately designed with a mosaic tiled entrance and staircase, and photographs of Cuba covering the walls, the restaurant certainly does well to imitate Latin American decor and style. This combined with the additional presence of a traditional South American mariachi band and friendly staff, succeeds in providing that much desired chilled-out vibe.

Divided into four sections, the restaurant caters for everything you could want on an evening out. With a designated eating area and a slightly more relaxed lounge space on the ground floor, the venue has a separate bar upstairs available for private bookings, which may be ideal if your university society is looking for somewhere different to go than the usual club night social, as well as a dance floor for salsa lessons.

If you don’t manage to plan a night here with your housemates and course friends, it is well worth taking a trip with your parents when they make their annual appearance in Nottingham to come and visit.

You won’t be disappointed!

Belinda Toor

Images: Belinda Toor

FoodFood Reviews