UoN awarded ‘world’s greenest university campus’ title

The University of Nottingham has been awarded the title of the most environmentally-friendly campus in the world for the fourth time.

The Universitas Indonesia (UI) GreenMetric Ranking of World Universities is the first and only ranking of its kind, which measures the eco-friendly status of 407 universities worldwide through six key indicators, including environmental setting, waste management and transportation.

Each university is then given a mark for specific issues falling into these categories, such as its greenhouse gas emission reductions policy and water conservation program.

“The commitment to its rebuild demonstrates the University’s commitment to the reduction of its carbon footprint”

The UI’s focus of 2015 was carbon footprint, a prevalent theme at the University of Nottingham due to the development of the GlaxoSmithKline Carbon Neutral Laboratory for Sustainable Chemistry on Jubilee Campus.

Although this development made headlines in 2014 when the partly-constructed building was destroyed in a fire, the commitment to its rebuild demonstrates the University’s dedication to the reduction of its carbon footprint.

The building will be carbon-neutral over its lifetime, and is built from natural materials and powered by renewable sources.

“I think it’s really great that the University has been recognised for the most environmentally-friendly campus in the world”

Commenting on the recent accolade, Iona Hudson, a second year Philosophy student, told Impact: “I think it’s really great that the University has been recognised for the most environmentally-friendly campus in the world. It shows that they care about providing a better future for their students and the next generation”.

The University also has in place a Carbon Management Plan which seeks, by 2020, to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 40% from the level recorded in 2010.

This plan proposes various initiatives and investments which will ideally result in the reduction of greenhouse gas emission, and includes the improvement of many buildings’ thermal performance, as well as the development of technologies such as lake source and ground source heat pumps to provide renewable, low-carbon energy.

“The research conducted through [The Creative Energy Homes] has influenced governmental strategies”

Nottingham is also working alongside leading firms including E.ON to investigate the integration of energy efficient technologies into houses.

The Creative Energy Homes, a cluster of eco-friendly buildings on University Park, are an example of this work, and the research conducted through this project has influenced governmental strategies.

Laura Hanton

Image: Matt Buck via Twitter

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter