Five things that inspired us this week and determined the way we dressed:

1. BBC’s War And Peace

Peace and War

I’ve recently become obsessed with the new BBC adaptation of Tolstoy’s War and Peace, and if I’m completely honest, it’s the amazing collection of outerwear the cast have been donning that has really captured my fascination. Whether it’s the wide, fur-lined, hooded capes or elaborate Cossack hats modelled by the beautiful Lily James (and no doubt made all the more appealing) the unlikely combination of glamour and practicability has won me over. I find myself wondering if I too could pull of such statement furs. In fact, I’ve been so inspired by this Russian chic that a part of me wishes it was November again so I would have sufficient use of any imminent faux fur purchases!

2. Laura Mvula

laura mvula 1

Laura Mvula is beyond cool, and watching her perform her new single ‘Overcome’ live reminded me why this is the case. She is bold and completely unafraid, which is reflected not only in the unique rhythm she channels in her music but also in her style choices that always defy convention. This portrait is beautiful in many ways. The dramatic sweeping eyeliner, full 60’s style lashes and on trend statement eyebrows find the perfect balance between soft and standout. It is, however, the jewelled turban that I find most stylish and it has inspired me to raid my scarf collection and see where my DIY head wrap skills take me. Like Laura, I want to channel boldness in any future fashion decisions I make even, if they go against the status quo.

3. 80’s sportwear

Is anyone else suddenly really interested in his or her parents’ 80/90’s wardrobe collection? After seeing the trailer for the new series Deutschland 83, I find my self wondering if my dad could hook me up with some vintage 80’s sports wear- preferably Puma but Ellesse could work. Affordable, comfortable and warm, oversized vintage sportswear is the way to go. This is especially true during a semester that for us third years, lets be honest, will be spent clocking up hours in Hallward. Final semester can be tough, but when you can be cosy and cool your already winning.

4. Gym Wear outside the gym 

My Instagram feed is virtually flowing with mouth-watering food posts from the likes of Deliciously Ella, Madeleine Shaw and Camilla Mackintosh however I’m equally inundated with images of them modelling the coolest and often very colourful gym clothes. We all know how super comfy yoga pants are but when they have transparent panels, neon prints and flattering cuts they also become pretty stylish.  Recently I’ve taken inspiration from such posts because and invested in some brighter active wear choices because wearing gym wear doesn’t have to involve the treadmill but it can seriously enhance your comfort when buried in books in Hallward.

5. Superga trainers

This week I saw someone wearing a pair of Superga, a brand of shoe I used to adore. The Italian brand has been around a while now, and about three years ago I was such a fan that it felt as if I had singlehandedly convinced everyone I knew to buy a pair. At the time Converse was the big thing so I felt good about wearing a less common, more Continental style shoe. Seeing a woman in them this week made me remember why I loved them so much; the iconic wide shape and thick sole make them stand out and the wide selection of colours and style allow you to dress them up or down. I have been inspired to organise the shoe bag that sits solemnly on the top of my wardrobe and be reunited with some old friends. Browse their collection here.

Witley Rookwood

Image Credits: Instagram/Supergauk, Instagram/milliemackintoshoffical, CambridgeJF via Wikipedia, Channel 4 via youtube

Follow Impact Style on TwitterFacebook and Instagram

5 Favourite Date Locations for Valentine's Weekend

Trailer Watch - The Purge: Election Year