Trailer Watch – The Purge: Election Year

The Purge: Election Year trailer finally gives us the title and details we’ve all been waiting for. The next instalment in the Purge horror franchise is almost upon us.

From this first look, it appears that the minds behind the franchise are very much aware of its strong suits, with the decisions to both keep Frank Grillo involved in the project and not restraining themselves to the limited Purge that we saw in the original instalment.

The trailer lays out the premise, showing us a senator who is hell-bent on bringing the Purge nights to an end in the midst of the election year, creating a lot of enemies. This is something that comes back to haunt both her and Grillo’s Leo Barnes (possibly her bodyguard) as soon as Purge night commences and they are betrayed by their staff. Perhaps an all too revealing trailer but hey, this is looking to be possibly the best instalment yet, so why not showcase it?

The release of the movie, strategically in the midst of a particularly controversial American election year, is ridiculous and meta, but this goes well with the outlandish nature of these films. My only concern is that in trying to be too political, the movie might lose some of its disturbing horror and suspenseful elements that have been the stronghold of the franchise, but if the terrifying church scene at the end of the trailer is any indication, this will not be the case.

The Purge: Election Year hits cinemas 15th July

Nicholas Caballero

Click here for more Trailer Watch

Get in touch with us via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below

Image from ‘The Purge: Election Year’, Universal Pictures