Wollaton Hall Voted Second Best Tourist Destination in Great Britain

Wollaton Hall has been voted as the second best tourist destination in Great Britain by LandLove magazine.

The popular local attraction, owned by Nottingham City Council, is home to Nottingham’s Natural History Museum and attracts around 290,000 visitors per year.

The poll has been open since October in which readers have been voting for their favourite countryside attractions. Wollaton Park lost out on first place to Powis Castle and Gardens in Wales, with Holkham Hall and Estate in North Norfolk coming in third place.

Second year History student, Connor Higgs, told Impact: “Obviously this is really good for the promotion of Nottingham as a city and hopefully now people can appreciate some of the beauty in Nottingham”.

The Hall was famously used in the 2012 Batman film, The Dark Knight Rises as the setting for Wayne Manor and the grounds are regularly used for the No Tomorrow Festival during the summer.

“We are proud to have ranked so highly […] with such high quality competition”

Councillor Dave Trimble, Portfolio Holder for Leisure and Culture, said: “We are proud to have ranked so highly […] with such high quality competition”.

“Wollaton Hall is clearly well known and well loved across the country. Our programme of events at our heritage sites is ever expanding and we will continue to offer great days out in the city to all of our valued visitors”.

He then went on to congratulate the many colleagues and volunteers who provide visitors with the best possible experiences.

“Wollaton Hall is a prominent Grade One listed building designed by Robert Smythson and built by Sir Francis Willoughby between 1580 and 1588”

LandLove celebrates a more traditional way of life and the beauty of the British countryside. The magazine explores the most interesting places in the British Isles and rediscovers its most fascinating local customs and traditions.

Wollaton Hall is a prominent Grade One listed building designed by Robert Smythson and built by Sir Francis Willoughby between 1580 and 1588 for his family and is a fifteen minute walk from University Park.

The Hall is surrounded by five hundred acres of parkland and gardens home to a herd of deer and is regularly used for large-scale outdoor events such as concerts, festivals and sporting events.

Nellie Khossousi

Image: Lee Haywood via Flickr

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter