Easter Comeback Playlist

It’s Easter Sunday! The day we might as well send off mailing cheques to Cadburys and celebrate the greatest comeback of all time (beside the odd Timberlake or so): that of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To mark the occasion, IMPACT have put together a playlist of some of the (slightly less good) comeback singles of our times. 

Sleater Kinney – ‘Bury Our Friends’

They’re known for a back-catalogue that inspired a disciple-like following, so in 2014 – after a nine-year hiatus – news of a fresh single from Sleater-Kinney was met with bated breath. “Bury Our Friends” did not disappoint. Equal parts ferocious and thoughtful, the track combines jagged riffs with some pretty cerebral lyrics, musing on hefty themes such as death, fame and self-worth. These ladies are certainly not to be messed with. Easter’s approaching (and some of us might be remembering another famous ‘friend’ that was ‘buried’ ….and resurrected). Why not honour the occasion with the self-proclaimed ‘queens of rock and roll’? Sleater-Kinney are back and as heavenly as ever.

Maddy Hay

Take That – ‘Patience’

Back in 1996, following Robbie Williams’ departure, Take That decided to call it a day and split. However, no-one predicted that in 2006, they would return after 10 years, with ‘Patience’ – and how successful it would be. Despite initially charting at number four, it eventually charted at number 1, staying there for 4 weeks. Success carried on with this single, as it became the 7th best selling single of 2006 and won Best British single at the 2007 BRITs, proving to everyone that Take That were definitely back for good.

Emma Wilson

Bugatti Biebervelli – ‘What Do You Mean?’

It looked like it was all going downhill for The Beibz. DUI’s, vandalism charges and a whole lot of of marijuana, the ‘Baby’ pop-star (pun intended) was going through some seriously public growing pains. Then came along, ‘What Do You Mean’ and all his misdeeds were forgiven. It turns out, no-one really cares if you resist arrest when you release such a banger of a track. Even though he is involved in some sort of underground gang and is cavorting around on a bed with a lingerie clad supermodel in the video, the track is still a brilliant pop comeback, with it’s simplistic lyrics and catchy pop beat. The Beibz is back.

Rebecca Marano 

Kate Bush – ‘A Sky of Honey’

After 1993’s The Red Shoes, Kate Bush took an extended break from music. When all hope of a return was lost, double album Aerial was unleashed. Elvis, Pi, Joan of Arc, son Bertie – the subject matter was as diverse and evocative as ever, yes, though the music more delicate and restrained. But it was the second disc’s suite ‘A Sky of Honey’ where the real magic lay. Chronicling profound engagement a summer’s day, from the (talking) birds to storms and an artist’s work-in-progress, ‘A Sky…’ peaks with ‘Nocturne’, a fragile and forceful moonlit coupling of lovers and the crashing tide set to the driving rhythms of both. An exultant, confident return, which justifies not only the return but also the long wait.

Tom Watchorn

Eminem – ‘Forever’ Verse

Sure, relinquishing humankind of their sins etc is pretty sweet, but there’s no doubt in my mind that Jesus wishes his comeback was as cool as Eminem’s. Following a 4 year fame and drug-induced hiatus involving a life-threatening overdose on prescription pills, the good Angel Boi-1-da rolls away the stone and blasts the air horn to announce the second coming of the Rap God, breathing life back into hip hop for the first time since Nas declared it dead in ’06. With his flow even more focussed in his sobriety, Marshall revived his career, ushered in a new decade of rap and relinquished it of the sins of the mid-2000s (not including Drake’s chemotherapy line 4 minutes earlier…)
George Lestner

David Bowie – ‘The Next Day’

On 8th of January 2013 Bowie fans were in for quite a treat. He’d last released new music in 2003 with the just-okay Reality, and a few years later vanished almost entirely: hardly performing live, appearing in the odd cameo and then retiring in public life. On his 67th birthday then, nobody was expecting a brand new single from the man, least of all for it to be so good. It seemed the Thin White Duke was a case where the time off had done nothing but wonders. He returned with a new sound, heartbreaking lyrics, and the reassurance of an icon back on top of his game right at the end of his life.
Liam Inscoe – Jones
Image: Chrismatos via Flickr
Follow Impact Music on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter