EP Review: Habitats – Jungles EP

With inspiration ranging from David Bowie and Foals to David Attenborough and the Eurovision Song Contest, Habitats’ second EP was never going to be a bland affair. Jungles poses a well developed, intriguing sound which only furthers the tropical groove in which the band does so well to exploit. 

Opening track ‘Boogie Waltzer’ is an instantaneous example of the groovy nature of the band’s sound. The chorus asks “don’t you ever want to feel like someone else tonight?”, instantly providing a metaphorical sense of escapism, which entwines well with the catchy bass lines and drum beat of the song.

It is hard to distinguish an obvious frontman within the band, they instead allow the role to float between them which in turn creates an obvious diversity throughout the EP. ‘Jungles’ comes after the release of the band’s 2015 debut EP, ‘Diamond Days’. Despite the first release boasting fan favourite songs such as ‘Diamond Days’ and ‘Turn Down The Sun’, it is evident that the new set of tunes show that the band have settled on a catchy form of tropical groove which boasts a new found maturity in their sound.

Jungles EP poses a well developed, intriguing sound which only furthers the tropical groove in which the band does so well to exploit”

‘Should Know Better’ epitomises a tropical sound which wouldn’t seem out of place on a Caribbean beach; it not only boasts intriguing lyrics but also features strong melodic foundations. ‘Float Together’ is far more generic, taking clear inspiration from indie giants such as Peace and Swim Deep. Despite this, it still has an individual edge to it through the catchy guitar riffs and echoing choruses which the band are most famous for.

Jungles was produced by Olivier Chastan at New York’s Waterfront Studios, most famously used by Tokyo Police Club and The Charlatans. The EP’s title track, ‘Jungles’ uses very similar foundations to ‘Boogie Waltzer’ – it is a track which encourages feet tapping through its energetic drum beat and clearly has a feel-good vibe to it.

It is hard to imagine that Habitats’ rapid growth won’t continue; within a year they have released two well supported EP’s and gained a growing following across the country. This coming month they embark on a short tour across the country, playing Manchester’s Deaf Institute and Hoxton Square’s Bar and Kitchen, along with a return to Nottingham’s Bodega Social Club – venues which have played host to many famous names and play a huge role in the development of growing bands.

As a whole, Jungles is yet another sign of promise from Habitats; their sound is both intriguing and refreshing. With record deals and lucrative recording sessions coming up at the world famous Abbey Road studios, it is clear that the band shall continue to grow throughout 2016 and beyond.

Charlie Barnes

Follow Impact Music on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter