Impact on the Campaign Trail: Day 1

With today marking the first day of campaigning across the University campuses, potential candidates are putting all of their efforts into talking to as many students as possible.

With many candidates taking to the roundabout by the North Entrance of University Park campus, the number of banners adorned across the railings has increased exponentially overnight.

Impact bumped into Mary McCarthy, who is running for SU President, outside Hallward Library this morning. She said: “It’s been quite busy so far. The rain at the roundabout did hinder us slightly, but we have managed it and have all of our banners up!”

“The most important thing is to keep smiling!”

When asked about night-time campaigning, Mary said that Ocean on Friday and Crisis today is something she is looking forward to. However, she highlighted that the most important thing is to meet as many people as possible, engaging with all of the different societies about what they want and how she can improve the Students’ Union.

IMG_2776 (1)

Also outside the library was Alex Terry, running for Sports Officer, who believes that campaigning has gone really well today, especially considering that a number of sports teams have matches.

Alex told Impact that “the main aim for today especially is just meeting as many sports clubs as possible, watching them play and letting as many people know about my manifesto as possible”.

He added: “The most important thing is to keep smiling!”

“The most important thing for Dina is to make sure that people are informed about what she wants to achieve”

Also around Hallward today was Dina Elkordy, who is running for Community Officer. Dina revealed that she is relishing the campaign, and explained that the period before voting opens was based more around presence and visibility, and talking to as many students as possible.

She believes that the most important thing for her is to make sure that people are informed about what we want to achieve.

Connor Higgs

Image: Connor Higgs

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook for SU Elections Coverage

NewsSU Elections