Lizzie’s Lent: Part Three

This instalment of Lizzie’s Lent expect the temptations of internet shopping and book obsessed English student conversations…

This challenge is starting to get harder now! As part of the rules, I can browse as much as I like, but this has its own challenges. It feels like I’m facing the book equivalent of window shopping, so am browsing Amazon like I would if Zara were having a 50% off sale! Why I thought torturing myself would make me feel better is beyond me. As expected, my basket on Amazon now has about 8 ‘essential’ additions that I look forward to buying the second Lent is over (along with a much needed visit to Bath for a charity shop book buying frenzy). That won’t make my bank balance very happy but I guess that’s what student loans are for!

For instance, I’ve been dying to read, Lena Dunham’s Not that Kind of Girl ever since it came out but never got round to buying it. I only just remembered after starting this challenge (talk about the worst possible timing…) even though the book will remain on my bookshelf until summer due to the myth of reading off syllabus.

“When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes”

Even though my friends know I can’t buy books at the moment, it doesn’t stop us all chatting about them and sharing recommendations. Therefore my ‘to read’ list is growing by the day. This is an example of stereotypical English student chatter (we talk about other things I swear!) not aided by the fact that we were in the Costa in Portland building – dangerously close proximity to temptation.

While the quote by Desiderius Erasmus ‘When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes’, doesn’t quite sum me up (as I am more than capable of spending more than I should on clothes) I have been known to spend more time in book shops than clothes shops! All I know is that I will certainly be glad to soon see the back of this challenge!

Lizzie Robbinson

Keep up to date with Lizzie’s Lent by following Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter

ArtsArts Features