Festival Preview: Camden Rocks

Camden Rocks returns to the streets and venues of Camden for its fifth instalment on June 4th. Once again, it boasts an incredibly diverse array of acts. Not only does it feature bands who have already claimed great success but it is also an important showcase of new talent. Impact previews the most impressive names on this years line up:

The Cribs

The Cribs are considered one of the greatest indie bands of our time. In a live environment, they display an intense, jaw dropping account of an incredible back catalogue of songs. They have certainly stood the test of time well. 2016 marks twelve years since their self titled debut album was released, 12 years which has seen 5 more releases and endless touring.

Last year they released For All My Sisters, a resounding example of their consistency. Whilst songs such as ‘Different Angle’ and ‘Burning For No One’ stay true to the sounds of past albums, others such as ‘Pink Snow’ create a different, more nostalgic sound through effect-ridden guitar riffs. The Cribs have a history with Camden, and they played the Roundhouse and Electric Ballroom in 2015. They return once more to take the rightful headline slot at this years Camden Rocks Festival.

Carl Barat and the Jackals

2015 was quite a year for Carl Barat. Not only did he release a new album with The Libertines and tour much of Europe and the UK, he also released the first Jackals album, Let It Reign. Barat’s iconically fast paced guitar riffs feature throughout. Despite this, the focus does not only fall with the Libertines front man, the Jackals themselves are the true backbone of the band.

The first single from the album – ‘Glory Days’ – was released way back in 2014 and set the tone of the band. Other highlights include ‘A Storm is Coming’ and ‘Victory Gin’ which both manage to encapsulate a sense of Britishness in their sound. Expect some Libertines and Dirty Pretty Things classics when the band head to Camden Rocks on 4th June. ‘I Get Along’ and ‘Bang Bang You’re Dead’ are both common features at gigs. Overall, it is clear that Carl Barat and the Jackals are suited to small, sweaty venues, and so Camden Rocks will provide a wonderful showcase for them.

Sisteray

Known for catchy guitar riffs and strong lyricism, Sisteray have already developed a respectable following throughout London. 2016 has seen constant gigs throughout the capital, one of their most notable being at North London’s Nambucca in support of Trampolene as well as Camden’s Black Heart as part of their very own “Welcome To The Monkey House” night.

One of their most impressive songs is ‘A Wise Man Said’, an energetic, ‘Libertines-esque’ single which bodes even better in a live setting. Other tunes to look out for include ‘No Escape’ and ‘Back to Yours’. With such an impressive rise through the ranks in 2015,  Sisteray have incredible potential to make it to the top throughout this year.

Yuck

Having released their third studio album Stranger Things in February, Yuck return to Camden with a point to prove. Their self-titled debut album was greeted with considerable favour. Despite being overused in popular modern music, their 90s inspired sound endured the opposite effect and made it somewhat individual.

To many, Stranger Things is a return to form following former front-man Daniel Blumberg’s exit from the group. They return to the sound of their first album, as made obvious through songs such as ‘Hearts in Motion’ and ‘Cannonball’. With a back catalogue of three albums it is clear that they deserve such a high position on the Camden Rocks 2016 line up.

The Bulletproof Bomb

Much like Sisteray, The Bulletproof Bomb are well known in the capital. It is easy to relate their sound to artists like Arctic Monkeys and Jamie T, though they do have a great amount of originality too. 2016 has seen them release the Little Miss London EP as well as extensive touring. With many festivals already in place for the Sutton based band, the second half of the year is set to be even more successful than the first.

One of the songs to look out for is ‘Little Miss London’ which includes a catchy chorus and vivacious melody. Equally, ‘Suitcase’ is another notable tune for similar reasons whilst also showcasing a youthful energy. The Bulletproof Bomb have already been tipped for great success by many including Apple Music’s Zane Lowe. Their potential is not to be underestimated.

Lock

London based band Lock have already had a spectacular year in 2016. They have supported the Libertines in Paris, headlined Camden’s Barfly, and, as a result, developed a solid following. Debut single ‘Click’ is a solid representation of their sound. Heavy drum beats and repetitive lyrics are apparent throughout, along with an electronic backline.

Singer and guitarist, Edie Langley, has a strong musical repertoire outside of the band having been credited on the Libertines third album Anthems For Doomed Youth along with appearing with them on Glastonbury’s Pyramid stage. Expect to see such musical talent and more from Lock throughout this years festival season.

See below this year’s full line-up:

unnamed-2

Charlie Barnes

Images courtesy of Camden Rocks

Follow Impact Music on Facebook and Twitter