Silver Headlines: One Step Closer

When the news is filled with stories that can depress even the most optimistic person, Impact Features writers are searching for the stories that will make you smile.

SUPRA (Students Union Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation Association) has organized to take on the Yorkshire Three Peaks challenge to raise money for the charity CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young). Other healthcare professionals have also shown an interest in the cause and have contributed both moral and financial support. The students and lecturers of the division have taken it in their stride to walk 40km in the Yorkshire peaks over three days in April.

“The students have taken it upon themselves to give something back to their beloved lecturer”

Impact Features asked Anya Lotay, a student charity representative, what made her want to become involved with this event. She said “charity work is rewarding, challenging and of social benefit for all of us”.

Physiotherapy students have raised money for CRY in the past: it is a cause particularly close to the department. One of the lecturers suffered a terrible loss when her own daughter passed away at the young age of 16 from cardiac failure.

Silver Headlines Girl

The students have taken it upon themselves to give something back to their beloved lecturer. Anya told us: “Our lecturer was so touched that we had chosen to do this for her. She said thank you with a warmth that showed us it really meant a lot to her. We know nothing we do can bring her daughter back but, by doing something for other young people like her, we cherish her memory”.

Death in the young is such a tragedy; it can only be hoped that the money raised can help the charity raise awareness and discover and develop new preventative measures for young people of the future. The actions by students for this charity are truly inspirational.

“Each and every one of their steps brings comfort to those who have been impacted by similar tragedies”

Not only does the challenge raise money which will allow for larger funding for research into cardiac issues in young people, this event is a symbolic journey which commemorates not just the loss of one child, but the loss of many. Each and every one of their steps brings comfort to those who have been impacted by similar tragedies and brings us closer to a future where less bright stars are put out before their time.

If you would like to donate to this cause, please click on the link below:

https://www.justgiving.com/supra3peaks

Anyone who would like to lend a hand (or a hiking boot!) to the fundraising team can contact Anya at mysal@nottingham.ac.uk.

Beth Webb-Strong

If you are interested in contributing an inspiring story or writing your own Silver Headline, please contact features@impactnottingham.com

Embedded image: Beth’s own. Featured image: Andrew Boden via Flickr

Follow Impact Features on Facebook and Twitter

FeaturesSilver Headlines