Great Britain guaranteed to medal at European Archery Championship

Great Britain’s male recurve archery team, consisting of Larry Godfrey, Patrick Huston and Kieran Slater, have successfully negotiated the qualifying rounds and are guaranteed at least a silver medal this weekend at the European Archery Championships.

The team, seeded 13th in event, clawed back against France in their first match to win in a close shoot-off, and then proceeded to win against both Turkey and Belgium without losing a set.

Larry, Patrick and Kieran will shoot for the gold medal, and European title, against Russia on Sunday 29 May, in front of a home crowd in Old Market Square in the centre of Nottingham.

The men's recurve team celebrate gaining their place at the gold medal match at the European Archery Championship.

The men’s recurve team celebrate gaining their place at the gold medal match at the European Archery Championship.

There are further medal prospects for the Great British squad, as the two women’s teams will compete for bronze medals this weekend.

The recurve team of Naomi Folkard, Amy Oliver and Bryony Pitman will shoot against Germany at the finals on Sunday, while the compound team of Naomi Jones, Andrea Gales and Daisy Clark will compete on Saturday against fourth seeds, the Netherlands.

Qualification matches for the individual tournament took place today, with Bryony Pitman, Larry Godfrey and Patrick Huston hoping to replicate their team success.

Estimated match times

Saturday 28th May

11:00     Fast Graphics Women’s Compound Team Final (Bronze medal match)

Netherlands NED (4) – Great Britain GBR (10)

Sunday 29th May

11.00     The Nottingham Building Society Women’s Recurve Team Final (Bronze medal match)

Great Britain GBR (8) – Germany GER (2)

12:15      The #EveryRoadtoRio Men’s Recurve Team Final (Gold medal match)

Great Britain GBR (13) – Russia RUS (3)

Connor Higgs

Images courtesy of ‘Dutchtarget’.

Follow @ImpactSport on Twitter or like the Impact Sport Facebook page for more updates, or to get involved.