UoN Netball Team battle bravely but come up just short in Varsity match

The University of Nottingham (UoN) Netball Team lost 49 – 40 to Nottingham Trent University (NTU) in their Varsity match at the Jubilee Sports Centre, leaving the 2016 Varsity Series score at 8-4 after Friday’s events.

The first quarter started intensely, with Trent scoring first and UoN equalising within the minute. The two teams matched each other in pace and precise passing, scoring back and forth. UoN took the lead and opened up a six-goal gap. Despite NTU managing to reduce the gap, the UoN girls finished the first quarter 13 – 11 up.

After a quick break UoN began the second quarter ready to hold firmly onto their lead, immediately scoring the first goal of the quarter. Welton must be applauded for her seemingly effortless shooting technique.

Both teams toughened their defences with, Heaton and Dyer relentlessly blocking and deflecting any NTU shot which came their way. The second quarter was tight, with each team persistently matching the goal scored by the other until NTU pulled away, with some quick-fire scores building up a four-point lead of their own. At the half time whistle NTU led by 27 goals to UoN’s 19.

Chy3geuW0AA-5re

In the third quarter UoN brought on Willis as GK who shored up the defence in an attempt to reduce the number of goals conceded. However, smart interceptions and blocks by the UoN girls didn’t reduce NTU’s flow who at one point had a vast goal lead on their Nottingham rivals. The whistle blew and UoN finished the third quarter trailing 29 – 40.

“Despite fast, accurate passing and dogged defensive moves by UoN, the match finished 40 – 49”

The eleven-goal deficit did nothing to dull the UoN girls’ thirst to win; they started the final quarter as they meant to go on, scoring swiftly. Galvanised by the chanting of passionate fans, Welton scored yet another effortless goal but soon UoN needed to score ten goals in five minutes if they even wanted to equalise. The game briefly stopped as NTU’s Centre player fell on the court and suffered a nosebleed but both teams were quick to get back into it.

Despite fast, accurate passing and dogged defensive moves by UoN, the match finished 40 – 49 to the sound of huge cheers by the NTU spectators. Having played fantastically and with great sportsmanship, the UoN girls ended the evening with a team photo and were applauded by the many people who came to watch and support them in their varsity efforts.

Words by Nikou Asgari

Image: IMPACT Images Team

Follow @ImpactVarsity2016 for more updates on the 2016 Varsity Series.

SportVarsity