UoN’s Swimmers make it 7-in-a-row in Varsity win

The University of Nottingham (UoN) Swimming Team ran riot in the Varsity Swimming event, winning 148-71 over Nottingham Trent University (NTU) to bring up their 7th straight victory in the event, and bring up a 4-1 lead in the Varsity 2016 series.

In the first race of the day, the UoN 4X50 relay teams won with exceptional ease, gaining both 1st and 2nd position. The women’s 4X50 Womens was next, with UoN gaining 1st and 2nd position for the second time in the day.

In the 100m Individual, UoN came both 1st and 2nd in both races, with Callum McLean and Charlotte Milligan winning in each.

The next heat was the individual 100m Fly, where once again, the men’s and women’s team outswam their competition. Following this was the 50m Backstroke event which UoN won once again.

The next event was the 100m Breaststroke, the only event that UoN lost. The Men’s team swam to victory, while the women’s race was won by NTU, a minor blemish on UoN’s otherwise perfect scorecard.

The next event was the 50m Freestyle where UoN came 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the Freestyle Male category. It was all-rounded victory with the Women’s team clinching victory as well. Following this was the 50m Fly, which both teams won as well.

Victory in the swimming event meant that UoN were 4-1 up going into the Rugby Union event on Sunday 1st May

The next event was the 100m Backstroke, which unsurprisingly, UoN won. Following this was the 50m Breaststroke which both the Mens’ and Women’s team won along with the 100m Freestyle event.

The penultimate event of the day was the 4X50 Freestyle Relay, which both teams won. Following this were the Skins events. A Skins event is a series of races, which operate on a knockout basis; with the two remaining swimmers racing each other head to head in the final race. UoN finished of the day with one last unequivocal team from both teams.

Victory in the swimming event meant that UoN were 4-1 up going into the Rugby Union event on Sunday 1st May.

Words by Sanchari Banarjee

IMAGE: Impact Images Team

Follow @ImpactVarsity16 for more updates on the 2016 Varsity Series.

SportVarsity