Musicality’s Saucy Jack and the Space Vixens @ Studio Live!

A glorious concoction of disco, glitter and sex, Saucy Jack’s and the Space Vixens is the latest offering from Musicality. The funkiest thing to ever happen in the Studio, if you enjoy unnecessary sexual innuendo, then this is the show for you! 

Narrated by the psychoanalyst, Dr. Willy Von Whackoff (played by Jake Gerlernter), the plot follows the story of the fabulous characters at Saucy Jack’s, a futuristic space cabaret, famous for its murdered performers. The charming Saucy Jack, played by Thomas Outhwaite, is the owner of the eponymous cabaret club where, along with his team of performers and bar staff, he showcases cheap entertainment.

His latest offering is the vivacious Vulva Savannah, played by Nikki Fish. Vulva has found more profitable employment and plans to leave Saucy Jack’s when the mysterious Sling-back Killer murders her in cold blood. Upon hearing the news, the rest of the bar staff and performers, especially Sammy Sax, the Saxophonist (played by Rhodri Denton) begin to fear that they might be the next target.

“The gang at Saucy Jack’s are then introduced to the Space Vixens, who strut on to the stage chanting, ‘Glitter boots saved my life'”

Here enters Chesty Prospects, played by Charlotte Howarth, who recounts the adventures of the Space Vixens, a trio of cosmic Charlie’s Angels who fight crime in gloriously sparkly lurex suits. The gang at Saucy Jack’s are then introduced to the Space Vixens, who strut on to the stage chanting, “Glitter boots saved my life”.

They are here to investigate the crimes of the Sling-back killer. The leader, Jubilee Climax, played by Gemma Burton, is revealed to be the long-lost lover of Saucy Jack, and they rekindle their relationship upon meeting again. The rest of the Space Vixens, Bunny Lingus, played by Maria Bennett, and Anna Labia, played by Emily Dervey also find trusty partners.

“The show ends with the execution of the Sling-back Killer, revealed to be a character who the audience weren’t expecting to be the murderer”

The plot takes a tragic turn when one of the characters is brutally murdered by the Sling-back Killer, whose identity is then revealed. The show ends with the execution of the Sling-back Killer,  revealed to be a character who the audience weren’t expecting to be the murderer. For a fabulous finale, the barman Mitch Maypole (played by Joe McGeehan) comes out as a fabulous stripper and is joined by Dr. Whackoff in an incredible dance-routine.

“The cast succeeds in eliciting strong emotions, of hope and funk, treading the thin line between debauchery and creative expression”

Sitting in the audience, one can feel a relentless urge to join the Space Vixens on their glittery quest to find the Sling-back Killer. The cast succeeds in eliciting strong emotions, of hope and funk, treading the thin line between debauchery and creative expression.

The production may seem camp at first, but the plot line is first and foremost an ode to individual freedom. Saucy Jack’s is perhaps the most accepting institution in the whole universe and the values it upholds besides being universal are also highly noble. The sound system could have been better but considering the resources available, the production was almost perfect. Perhaps the best part of the production was the audience engagement.

The venue added to the appeal as a cabaret-like setting provided the ideal intimate situation to showcase such outrageousness. At best, Saucy Jack’s is the best stress-relief to be found on campus.

9/10

Sanchari Banerjee

Image courtesy of Musicality.

‘Saucy Jack and the Space Vixens’ is running at Studio Live!, Portland Building until Wednesday 8th June. For more information and to book tickets, see here.

For more theatre reviews, follow Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter

• Holly
    8 June 2016 at 15:25