Mankind’s journey into space has been well documented in film – Apollo 13, 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Martian to name a few. But what about the women? This adaptation of the book of the same name, by Margot Lee Shetterly, tries to answer that very question.

In this trailer for the aptly named Hidden Figures, we see Katherine Johnson (Taraji P. Hensen), Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer) and Mary Jackson (Janelle Monáe), three African-American women on their way to their place of work: NASA. Here, they face sexism and racism as they help launch the first human into outer space.

Throughout these three minutes, there are several moments of humour and compassion – not to mention some hardcore blackboard mathematics – that imply this will be an intriguing watch. The tongue-in-cheek nature of the dialogue hopefully means that the film’s hard-hitting truths will be thought-provoking without feeling preachy.

The mainstream film industry has frequently been criticized – and rightly so – for its lack of female-led films, especially when it comes to those based on true stories. Additionally, seeing as the Academy is shrouded by the #OscarsSoWhite controversy of the past two years, Hidden Figures will be looking to remedy that. Given this strong first trailer, it could well do so.

Hidden Figures launches into UK cinemas on 24th February 2017.

Sarah Quraishi

Click here for more Trailer Watch

Get in touch with us via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below.

Media sourced from YouTube

The Glorious Return of GBBO!

Review: T in the Park Festival 2016