Music Reviews

Live Review: MØ, Rescue Rooms (16/10/2016)

MØ (pronounced Muh for the non-Scandinavian) released her debut album two years ago in 2014. Within that time, she has managed to spark quite a musical revolution. Today, MØ holds the title (along with Major Lazer) for the m(Ø)st streamed song in Spotify’s history with ‘Lean On’, amassing in excess of 800 million streams, as well as being their 20th m(Ø)st listened to artist.

Through MØ’s music we feel an explosive, rebellious tone. It has a coming-of-age feel to it and sparks a sort of free-spirited listening experience. Collaborating with the likes of Skrillex, Diplo, DJ Snake and Justin Bieber, MØ’s rise has been nothing short of astronomic.

“Under a hazy fog, MØ and the band managed to punch a hole through the atmosphere with a high energy performance…”

Whilst onstage, MØ emits a confident, nonchalant demeanor. However, despite an accelerated journey to fame, she has retained the same grassroots ethos that she strode into the industry with.

Upon first seeing MØ’s name on the bill for Nottingham’s Rescue Rooms, my first thought was that such an artist could be filling out Rock City, so why Rescue Rooms? However, within the first minute of the set, I realized that the gushing energy that she shared with the audience that night would be difficult to emulate in a much larger venue.

“MØ’s voice reverberated off of the closely packed walls, the performance never faltering.”

MØ arrived on stage with a celestial, acapella rendition of ‘Don’t Wanna Dance’, in which the chorus did its best to channel a Lana Del Rey-style croon. However, the mood started to bounce when the set transitioned to ‘Waste of Time’.

Under a hazy fog, MØ and the band managed to punch a hole through the atmosphere with a high energy performance that set the tone for the rest of the set. The impatient guitar lurked in the background alongside the keyboard arpeggios.

‘Slow Love’ arrived on the set list like a tropical punch, in which the delighted audience received a surprise as MØ tore and surfed through the crowd. MØ’s voice reverberated off of the closely packed walls, the performance never faltering. This led into Kamikaze,  which was just that.

MØ lit up the stage with a high-octane performance, enhanced by her infectious awkward-dad dancing routine, which has become something of a fan favourite.

It was an evening of high energy and big smiles, with only few sombre moments. The acoustic cover of ‘Cold Water’ took the atmosphere down a click, leaving the crowd with a gaze of both adoration and enchantment.

She’s ditched her early, eccentric rap of songs like ‘A Piece of Music to Fuck To’ and “When I Saw His Cock”, but MØ seems to have found her feet with her jumped-up Scandipop. The comfort and vivacity that she brings to the stage displays this perfectly.

Paras Sehmar

Follow Impact Music on Facebook, InstagramTwitter and Spotify.

Music ReviewsReviews