Sheridan steadies County ship

In what has been a turbulent few weeks for former Nottingham County manager Sam Allardyce, current boss John Sheridan seems to have steadied the ship at Meadow Lane.

After another sporadic start to a league campaign which saw Notts County take just one point from their opening three fixtures, finally the Magpies are finding some form under the guidance of their new manager.

County struggled in League Two last year finishing 17th on the final day after a 5-0 thrashing by Carlisle in front of their own fans at Meadow Lane.

“Since then Notts County seemed to have turned a corner”

This form looked set to continue after the opening month of the 2016/17 League Two season, with County sitting 17th after the first seven rounds of fixtures. A crushing 2-0 home defeat to Accrington Stanley saw early pressure mount on Sheridan and his side were booed off after a torrid 90 minutes.

After the game Sheridan told the press :“I wasn’t happy watching it. I could’ve booed. But I have to stay strong and I will keep faith in my players.”

Since then Notts County seem to have turned a corner. Nine points from their previous three games has seen the Magpies climb the League Two table to seventh position, sitting just inside the playoff places.

The latest of these victories will be particularly encouraging for the new staff; the 2-0 victory away at Exeter represented County’s first clean sheet since the new boss joined the Magpies this summer.

Sheridan will also be satisfied by the form of star striker Jon Stead, who has grabbed nine goals in all competitions so far this season, including five in his last three league games, winning him a nomination for Football League player of the month for September. Stead, who joined County at the beginning of the 2014/15 campaign, has been instrumental in the Magpies’ recent success, contributing over half of County’s 17 goals, the same total as league leaders Plymouth Argyle.

“The latest of these victories will be particularly encouraging for the new staff”

These goals, along with those of strike partner Jonathan Forte, will be pivotal if Notts County hope to achieve promotion to League One, especially considering their notoriously leaky defence.

Unfortunately for fans around Meadow Lane the Magpies most recent fixture against 10th place Morecambe was called off on Saturday just ten minutes into proceedings due to a waterlogged pitch. This game has been rescheduled and will take place this coming Tuesday (11th October).

“These goals will be pivotal if Notts County hope to achieve promotion to League One”

Most recently, Sheridan’s side travelled to Nottinghamshire rivals Mansfield but were condemned 3-1 in the local derby in a game the Magpies would have been expecting to win.

Despite this blip, considering his team’s recent form, their encounter with Morecambe will be a game the new boss will be expecting to win. County fans will hope that their side’s latest results are a sign that the inconsistency of recent seasons is coming to an end.

Freddie Stuart

Image courtesy of The Stadium Guide via flickr.com

Video courtesy of youtube.com

Follow @ImpactSport on Twitter and ‘Like’ Impact Sport on Facebook