University of Nottingham storm up to first place in the BUCS rankings

The University of Nottingham have made a flying start to the 2016/2017 season in the BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport) rankings with the university occupying first position on just the second week of competitive action.

The green and gold have accumulated a whopping total of 1785 points so far this season from 106 wins, 7 draws and 56 defeats, which accounts to an overall win ratio of 62 per cent.

It makes good reading doesn’t it? All the sweeter given the fact city rivals Nottingham Trent currently lie way off the pace in fifteenth with less than half of UoN’s points total.

SU Sports Officer Lauren Heria’s ‘team of the week’ accolades have gone to the badminton men’s first team who defeated Durham 5-3 with a team including some 3rd team players, as well as the men’s rugby for their 26-18 victory, also away at Durham.

Honourable mentions have also been given to UoN men’s basketball firsts for their 89-51 win against Worcester, the football women’s seconds’ 25-0 triumph over Trent, 6 out of 6 matches won for our Table Tennis club on the opening Wednesday and a 2-1 victory for the men’s hockey 1s against Loughborough.

On top of these teams, the men’s football first team have won all their matches so far, our tennis teams won 6/8 of their matches in the second week of action and our Rugby League sides both recorded mammoth victories – 82-0 away at Loughborough and 92-0 away at Derby.

It is the numerous victories against tough opponents such as university sporting giants Durham and Loughborough which is making us stand out this year, as well as the consistent victories across a variety of sports which is always remarkable to see.

This will be exactly the start needed for the university to continue the success of last year where Nottingham finished the season in fourth place with a total of 3553.5 points – our best finish for over a decade.

SU Sports Officer Lauren Heria said, “teams have already come back buzzing off the success from last year. We’ve recruited a high number of sports scholars and we’ve also brought in 7 more teams to BUCS this year making it 119 that we’ve entered overall, so all of these factors should help us improve on last years finish.”

Were just under halfway towards that total at the moment only two weeks into the season, so there is no reason why our sports clubs cannot equal and even surpass the success of last term.

A full list of the University of Nottingham’s fixtures for this week can be found on the BUCS website if you fancy going along to any of this Wednesday’s matches to support the green and gold.

Words by Joe Tanner

Image courtesy of University of Nottingham Sport via flickr.com

Follow @ImpactSport on Twitter and ‘Like’ Impact Sport on Facebook.

NewsSport