Music

Album Watch: Bruno Mars, The Weeknd and more

A lot of music comes out weekly, so over here at Impact we have given everything a listen so you don’t have to. Here are our top picks out of some of the recently released albums.

Bruno Mars – 24K Magic

While I’m sure this album was more of a strategic move rather than a product of passion it’s still extremely enjoyable. After realising the success of his previous record Uptown Funk with Mark Ronson, Bruno has decided to create an album heavily influenced by old school funk and RnB and it makes for a classic sounding album with a lot of fun energetic and soulful tracks on there. With only ten tracks, this album is a short and fun listen with some good vibes to get you through the week.

6lack – Free 6lack

A Great album for lovers of the new wave of RnB a lot of people are dubbing trap soul. Very similar to Bryson Tiller’s debut album this project sees a perfect blend of gritty stand offish tracks like ‘Never Know’, flex songs like ‘Rules’ and songs for women like ‘Luving U’ and ‘Learn Ya’. Staying true to the sound founded in the 6 this album is definitely one I’d recommend to fans of PND, The Weeknd, Drake, Tory Lanez and Bryson Tiller.

Flume – Skin Companion EP I

With the description four unreleased songs from the Skin Companion sessions, this EP is interesting. While none of the tracks in my humble opinion match the quality of the songs found on the Skin LP they are all enjoyable and will definitely fill the void for impatient Flume fans looking for new music from the Australian mastermind. With only one song with any vocals on it, this short piece of work allows you to appreciate the sound that Flume has created. 

The Weeknd – Starboy

Not much to talk about to be honest. Another The Weeknd album, same old same old. Drugs, sex, more drugs, depression and some cool beats and melodies. In terms of sound, this album explores many different genres, from 80s pop on the track ‘Secrets’, to EDM on ‘Rockin’ to old school RnB sounds on ‘True Colors’. While I still miss the old Weeknd, this album is definitely worth a listen.

Rapsody – Crown

One of the best in the game right now period. Cool flows and soulful production from the likes of 9th Wonder and Terrance Martin, this EP is a must for any lover of hip hop. Rapsody is heavily underrated. Having worked with the likes of Kendrick Lamar and Anderson .Paak it’s only a matter of time before she gets the recognition she deserves.

Joshua Ogunmokun

Follow Impact Music on Facebook, InstagramTwitter and Spotify.

Music