Beauty

Impact Style Reviews: Soap & Glory

Not too long ago, Soap & Glory brought their fabulous bus onto campus. Now, Impact Style contributors bring you reviews of a number of their products. Having tried and tested an eclectic selection of Soap & Glory products, contributors then gave their verdict. Here’s what they thought…

Product: Clean On Me Shower Gel

Verdict: For all those freshers in student halls missing their home comforts (in particular a bath-tub and all its glorious bubbles) this Soap and Glory shower-gel is one sure-fire alternative way to treat yourself in the limited shower space you have.  I certainly felt content when lathering up this bubbly shower gel’s cream. As you ‘bubble up’, the mandarin extract it contains begins to give off its light, natural scent. Personally, it is the convenient built-in moisturiser that was the real selling point – silky smooth skin with minimal effort required!  

Rating: 5/5

Reviewed By: Finola Billings

Product: One Heck of a Blot Primer and Translucent Powder

With loads of products out there promising ‘anti-shine this’ and ‘mattifying-that’, it can be daunting to select the right one. But have no fear, I’ve found your answer. Whether you’re a dry, oily or just your average-Joe skin type, this powder is definitely a makeup-bag-must. The finely milled, silky formula makes for a beautiful, mattified finish for any day or night look, and teamed with the ‘One Heck Of A Blot’ primer, a shiny face is a problem of the past. The convenient compact, like all of Soap and Glory’s products, is fun, witty and 50s-esque, with a large mirror inside for easy on-the-go application. Despite coming with a sponge, I preferred applying it with a good old sweep of a big powder brush across your face, as an absolute fail-safe. At £12, I feel you can’t really go wrong, especially as this acts as a great cheaper substitute for Charlotte Tilbury’s  ‘Airbrush Flawless Finish’. Save your pennies and opt for this mattifying must-have when you’re next “um-ing and ah-ing” in Boots.

Rating: 4.5/5

Reviewed By: Lucy Wride

Product: Kick Ass Super-Blur Imperfections Eraser

With many ‘imperfections’ on my face (dryness, spots and texture) this product sounded life-changing! To test it out, I used this product on half my face on top of moisturiser. The main difference I saw was that it mattified my skin and made it feel less tacky. Spots of ‘imperfections’ were still visible but slightly less obvious. After full face make-up application, both halves looked and felt the same. Unfortunately, there was also very little product in the tube. Perhaps this product this might be a hit for people with oily combination skin, but it was a bit of a miss for me! 

Rating: 2/5

Reviewed By: Gracie Pattenden

Product: Archery Volu-Boost Brow Fibre Gel

As a non-tweezer, gel is my go-to for tidy brows and this gel wins top marks. The weightlessness gave my brows a natural lift without staining my skin. Neither did it feel crisp nor flakey and the gentle hue complimented my natural brows as it busted those fly-aways. The wand is small yet it manages to run through each hair while avoiding a fake combed look. Not too matte or oily, the Volu-Boost gel lasts all night and appears to be sweat resistant. Yet it washes off easily. The gel requires zero skill to keep you looking fresh and groomed whilst adding the slightest tint to give the illusion of a thicker brow, Delevingne-style. If only the bottle was bigger!

Rating: 4/5

Reviewed By: Poppy Malby

Product: Sexy Mother Pucker Gloss Sticks (in Nudist and Pink-A-Boo)

I love this product! The application is easier than a lipstick because of its chubby crayon form. Its compact size also makes it easy for on-the-go use. The texture is very smooth and feels moisturising on the lips. The colour lasts for an entire evening and has a nice glossy appearance to it. I would recommend the Pink-A-Boo shade for a natural daytime look as it adds a pink pop of colour to the lips, while the Nudist shade is perfect for a glamorous evening look. The gloss sticks also have an amazing vanilla scent. They are the perfect combination of lip balm, stick and gloss, bringing out the best in each product.

Rating: 5/5

Reviewed By: Julia Lim

Product: Sexy Mother Pucker Gloss Sticks (in Purple Rain)

This is a product which I would absolutely recommend! The bevelled tip of the pen makes it easy to apply the shimmering gloss, which is a perfect shade for Christmas as part of the ‘Merry Kiss Much’ set. The subtle vanilla scent adds extra appeal and the creamy finish is pleasingly long-lasting. Although the plummy pigment is bold, it transfers a flattering colour which would complement most skin tones. Overall, the gloss provides a statement look which isn’t too heavy and is enjoyable to wear.

Rating: 5/5

Reviewed By: Catherine Turner

Creamy, long-lasting and marvellously matte ?? PLUS only £3.50 right now @bootsuk!! ???

A post shared by Soap & Glory (@soapandglory) on

Product: Sexy Mother Pucker Pillow Plump Lipgloss (in Nude in Town)

Soap and Glory’s pillow plump lipgloss boasts  ‘lipswell’ and ‘glassy shine technology’ for a fuller, shiner lip. The initial reaction to the product was good. The ‘Nude in Town’ colour offers a deep and rich take on a natural lip colour, which goes well with a variety of looks. The gloss is easy to apply, and dried without becoming sticky. The downsides of the products are, unfortunately, written on the packaging. The experience of ‘lipswelling’ was a very jarring, unpleasant tingling sensation which lasted about fifteen minutes. Once the tingling subsided and the gloss dried, it only took a few hours before the pigment had completely worn off. My wish to avoid reliving the experience of having pins and needles in my lips far outweighs my want to retouch the gloss. Unfortunately, the promise of fuller lips is the product’s downfall. So despite the beautiful colour and texture, this would-be favourite will not have me feeling like a Sexy Mother Pucker anytime soon.

Rating: 3/5

Reviewed By: Ellis Harris

Image Credit: Dennis Skley via Flickr – License

Follow @ImpactStyle on Twitter or like the Impact Style Facebook page for more updates on Impact Style.

BeautyStyle