Music Reviews

Live Review: Honne, Rescue Rooms (31/10/16)

Honne are a duo made up of James Hatcher and Andy Clutterbuck. Having reached 37th in the UK album charts with their debut album  ‘Warm on a Cold Night’, released earlier this year, Honne have slowly been amassing more and more airtime since the beginning of last year. In January 2016 they got their break, gaining the title of BBC Radio 1’s Track of The Day, with ‘Someone That Loves You’, on which they collaborated with Izzi Bizu.

Upon first listening to Honne, it feels almost like being serenaded in the 21st-century by the British electro version of D’Angelo, managing to create a sweltering feeling akin to Frank Ocean’s lo-fi nocturnal mellowness. The duo have managed to make a name for themselves within the music industry with their room filling synth lathered with an amalgamation of sadness and sensuality through Andy’s lyrics, intertwining together so soulfully and elegantly to create a serene intimate musical experience.

“Despite their humble and polite mannerisms, they most definitely let the music do the talking,”

After last playing Nottingham in 2015 at The Bodega, Honne have graduated to Rescue Rooms with a near sold out show. The duo jigged onto the stage with their band members, teasing the start of ‘Treat You Right’ moments before they arrived, the crowd lulled by the weight of the synth, which was a common theme throughout.

Within the first half of their set,  despite their humble and polite mannerisms, they most definitely let the music do the talking. Their lusty slow jams managed to calm yet energise the crowd with ‘3am’ getting every girl in the crowd fluttering at the sound of Andy’s vocal croons.

“That gave this moment something special, with the audience all wrapped with arms around each other.”

The set had it’s most tender moment in the closing stages, with the second song on their encore ‘Woman’. In those four minutes it felt like everyone in the crowd had had a moment at one point in their life, in which the lyrics that were being branded from Andy’s mouth, directly effected them. That gave the moment something special, with the audience all wrapped with arms around each other.

From this slower pace, the set ended with All in The Value, which perfectly represented the gig as a whole, with a mellowing sparse verse tipped over by James’ electrifying crisp Slash-esque solo which perfectly capped off a rousing hot blooded performance.

Honne most definitely treated us right and kept us Warm on a Cold Night.

Paras Sehmar

Image courtesy of Honne via Facebook

Follow Impact Music on Facebook, InstagramTwitter and Spotify.

Music ReviewsReviews