Local Sounds: Crosa Rosa

Describing their sound as ‘wobbly rock’, Nottingham’s Crosa Rosa are slowly beginning to amass a keen following across much of the UK. The garage/psych band have already played a wealth of gigs over the last year and 2015 saw the band embark on a festival circuit which incorporated the world famous Reading and Leeds festivals.  Their latest Candy Eyes EP is not only a development of their sound but also indicates that Crosa Rosa are destined for much more success in the years to come. 

‘Dead Hang Gang’ opens with an effects-ridden guitar solo, nothing too dissimilar to a grunge-sounding punk anthem. Its catchiness makes it the perfect opening to the 6 track EP, and it clearly has all the attributes to invoke a ripple of waves amongst crowds in a live setting. Though the title track, ‘Candy Eyes’ is somewhat slower, it offers a side to Crosa Rosa’s sound which differs to the rest of the EP. Effortlessly, the range in the lead singer’s voice is shown off along with an obvious drum beat.

“Crosa Rosa just recently played their biggest headline show: a homecoming at Nottingham’s Rescue Rooms”

‘Like A Lady’ offers the most interesting side to Crosa Rosa’s latest EP – it is arguably the track which stands out the most out of their entire discography due to its differentiation in sound. A little more accessible than the others, ‘Like A Lady’ is a clever mix of lyric and guitar and wouldn’t sound out of place in a playlist of most modern alternative bands. The track comes as the first single to be released officially from the Candy Eyes EP and has already amassed large support both online and in radio.

The band are favourites of BBC Introducing in the East Midlands; not only have they performed as part of their ‘faction’ events at Rough Trade Nottingham but they continually appear in endorsed playlists and radio shows alike. 2016 has been kind to Crosa Rosa: just recently they played their biggest headline show – a homecoming at Nottingham’s Rescue Rooms.

Candy Eyes follows on from debut EP Pantophobia. The latter arguably acted as a catalyst for the band’s success over recent years.

It is in the form of ‘Baya’ where the heaviest sounds of the EP come. A crashing guitar solo and intense drum beat make this song poised to be an obvious set opener. Candy Eyes EP as a whole follows on from the great success of their debut EP. They cleverly build upon their initial sound and as a result one must assume that the band are – quite rightly – tipped for big things in the future.

You can listen to ‘Candy Eyes EP’ here.

Charlie Barnes

Charlie is listening to ‘Les Cactus’ by The Last Shadow Puppets

Follow Impact Music on Facebook, InstagramTwitter and Spotify.