Students rent costs rise by nearly a quarter in recent years

According to figures from the National Union of Students and Unipol, weekly rent for student accommodation has risen by as much as 23% since 2009.

The average student rent is as much as 85% of the the maximum student loan and grant available, leaving little money left for all the other expenses of university life, according to Shelly Asquith, Vice-President of Welfare at the National Union of Students (NUS).

Figures from the Index of Private Housing Rental Prices (IPHRP) indicate that student accommodation costs have risen 18% from September 2011 to May 2016, whilst private rent has only increased by 8%.

The NUS have suggested that despite the rise in cost, quality of accommodation is not improving.

‘The average student rent is as much as 85% of the the maximum student loan.’

Third year student Ellie Salter has said that “it’s unfair, considering we are already paying 9 grand in fees and then the rent increases on top of it. Nottingham students are lucky compared to students residing in London; London is crazy expensive as it is.”

Abel Hartman, SU Community Officer, has said: “Across the country, students are seeing the rent they are expected to pay increase considerably during their studies, especially for halls of residence.”

“While our students do face this nationwide trend, the NUS Accommodation Survey 2015 paints a rosier picture for Nottingham students living off-campus in the private rented sector.

Due to an oversupply of housing in Nottingham in comparison to demand for non-purpose-built houses, students are able to pay considerably less rent once they move off campus.

‘Nottingham students take advantage of significantly lower average rents of about £80.’

The survey shows that, while average rent in the East Midlands is around £100 in a shared house, Nottingham students take advantage of significantly lower average rents of about £80.”

Third year student Amy Hunter said “it amazes me how for a lot of people their student loan doesn’t even cover the rent for a house full of mould, cracks and other unacceptable living conditions. Yet the prices begin to rise and the conditions don’t get any better”.

Mary Litchfield

Image: Mr Thinktank via Flickr

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter

• SNOC
    22 November 2016 at 12:13