Music

What I’ve Been Listening To (Album Watch, 05/12/16)

Big Baby D.R.A.M. album cover by Boootleg

The deadlines are piling up but don’t worry, I’m still here to give you the albums worth listening to this week so you don’t have to sift through them. Without further ado, here are the projects I’ve been listening to over the weekend.

Childish Gambino – “Awaken, My Love!”

Childish Gambino has officially annoyed me with this album. This guy legit does everything. Raps, acts, writes, directs, does stand up and now he’s a soul singer. I really wasn’t expecting an album like this, however, after his cover of Tamia’s ‘Into You’ I should have been more optimistic. “Awaken, My Love!” is an entertaining R&B album taking influences from legends such as Funkadellic and Jimi Hendrix, and definitely sees Childish Gambino explore sounds outside of his comfort zone.

D.R.A.M. – Big Baby D.R.A.M.

This album is everything I expected it to be: very fun to listen to, with some interesting subject matter. I’m still undecided about whether what D.R.A.M. does can be counted as singing but I love it. If you don’t have time to listen to the whole album please take the time to watch this hilarious and colourful music video for ‘Cash Machine’. Look how happy he is.

AJ Tracey – Lil Tracey EP

Short but not sweet. This EP is grimey and filled with two gun finger skanking bangers. AJ Tracey shows that he’s more than capable of putting together extended pieces of work and this EP has a lot of replay value.

Joshua Ogunmokun

Follow Impact Music on Facebook, InstagramTwitter and Spotify.

Music