Western Universities have gone insane!

University is a place for advanced learning. An important tenet of University life, however, is the opportunity for people of different races, nationalities and backgrounds to interact, share and debate ideas, and build relationships that last for years and even generations. At least, that was what it used to be.

What we see nowadays is a different story. Now, most universities tend to pursue policies that fall towards the political left. Gross and Simmons in their study show that the political leanings of academics today are mostly leftist, despite the fact that the larger society does not have that high a percentage of people who consider themselves to be on the political left.

“Most academics lean politically to the left”

I would argue that everyone learns to think like their university lecturers, teachers and mentors. Herein lies the problem: if most academics and university hierarchy lean politically left, students are only exposed to the left side of arguments on policy and political issues and aren’t exposed to a range of views before making decisions. What this does is to make them dismiss other people’s political views as “crazy”, “extreme”, “useless”, thereby making many of tomorrow’s leaders out of touch with their community at a very young age.

Cory Lewandowski, Donald Trump’s former campaign manager, was invited to speak at the Oxford University Union. It was obvious that even before the man had a chance to talk that the students had no interest in listening to him. To them, he was stupid, an extremist. How dare he come here? The smug way in which they derided him was amazing to behold. One of the questions asked of him was, and I am paraphrasing here:

“Why do you think Trump should have hired you when you have been a failure in your career all along?”

What?!

“Have you ever taken a political campaign to international recognition before?”

Turns out he has had some political success in the past. On top of that, the meeting was held after Trump won the 2016 American election in a campaign which Corey Lewandowski helped bring to international attention. To the eyes of the Oxford students, however, he was a failure! Insane! Have you ever taken a campaign that was written off from the start to international recognition before?

And to top it off recently was the riot at the University of California, Berkeley, because a right-wing speaker Milo Yiannopolous was scheduled to speak on their campus. The irony is that in the 1960s, the free speech movement started in the same university to give audience to people with different views. Now, in 2017, the story is the prohibition of people who do not share your political views. Insane!

Of course, the end result was that Yiannopolous ended up gaining international coverage and exposure.

If the political left-turning of universities is not swiftly corrected, we have got a huge problem on our hands for the coming generation.

Olufisayo Olanrewaju

image: Onasill Bill Badzo via Flickr

Follow @ImpactComment on Twitter or like the Impact Comment Facebook for more articles and debates.

• Boris
    27 February 2017 at 10:19