Why Sir Peter Mansfield’s Death Matters

Sir Peter Mansfield died on 8th February 2017, having had an extremely successful scientific career. Starting as a printer’s assistant and being told science was not for him, Mansfield went on to graduate from Queen Mary’s College, University of London, with a BSc in Physics and went on to study a PhD involving NMR and proton resonance.

He worked internationally at the University of Illinois, and whilst there he assisted in the development of MRI technology. He was significant in later development with MRI scanners, as well as being a professor at the University of Nottingham for 15 years. Whilst he retired long before any of us were at university (or in some cases born), it is important to recognise that Nottingham has helped with the development of important areas of science and industry, and isn’t just the best university city in the country.

“It is important to take pride in Nottingham’s heritage”

But why should this matter? Nottingham is a city with lots to offer in terms of food, entertainment, and most importantly history and culture. Although this element of Nottingham is overlooked when university students come to explore the city and choose to study here (why look at an MRI scanner when you can take a dip at Ocean and then go to Toast for pancakes the morning after?).

However, I would argue that it is important to take pride in Nottingham’s heritage and understand the significant contributions that Nottingham has made to science, industry and sport alongside all the things that give us a great student experience.

As well as MRI, Nottingham is also the home of the national pharmaceutical company, Boots. There is a building on campus named after the Boots family, and the main support office still has its home in Beeston. Ibuprofen was invented here, and a number of Boots’ well-known brands evolved. Prior to this, in the industrial era, Nottingham was one of the most important producers of lace, with factories in lace market giving it its name. The knitting frame was invented in Nottinghamshire, and the area involved into a major lace production site, becoming an international industry in the 1840s.

“Take a minute to look around at the history of Nottingham”

The Brian Clough statue that stands in Nottingham city centre is evidence of the pride that Nottingham takes in its sporting history. Alongside sport, there are also a number of food and drinking establishments that are part of historic Nottingham. Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem claims to be the oldest pub in the UK, and there are a number of other historic pubs and bars, including Pitcher & Piano, a converted church, and the Malt Cross, which was a Victorian music hall.

So, whilst you might just be going into town to hit up New Look’s latest sale or sample some food at Annie’s, take a minute to look around at the history of Nottingham which is subtly sprinkled through the city – you might just learn something.

Felicity Goldsack

image: Liz West via Flickr

Follow @ImpactComment on Twitter or like the Impact Comment Facebook for more articles and debates.

• Anno