Candidates

SU Elections: Meet your 2017 Sports candidate

During our SU Elections media day on Saturday 4th March, we chatted with the candidate hoping to be your 2017-18 Sports Officer. Here’s what he had to say.

Adam Pratchett

Image by Nicolas Caballero for Impact Images

Adam Pratchett is a fourth year International Relations student running unopposed to be your Sports Officer.

Adam has been involved with sports at UoN for the last four years. He is currently President of the Men’s Basketball Club, which is involved with British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS), Intramural Sport (IMS) and Engage.

Adam believes that this has given him a lot of experience across the full spectrum of University sport.

He claims that his most important manifesto point is “increas[ing] participation levels in sport at all levels” and showing students how to get the most out of sports.

Adam wants to develop a “Buy Four Get One Free” scheme for the Engage initative, where students would get a fifth sports session for free after attending four paid sessions.

He hopes this would increase the frequency of students who come back regularly to sports sessions, improving engagement overall.

“Adam’s manifesto does not include a point about sports membership prices”

Adam also wants all captains and coaches to be trained in mental health problems, producing more approachable points of contact for students and creating a more inclusive environment.

Adam’s manifesto does not include a point about sports membership prices. When asked why, he tells us: “Membership is a really big issue for students and the only reason it’s not in my manifesto is because it’s not something I could guarantee that I could change”.

He explains different payment options that could be implemented, such as a recurring payment scheme, but admits that the logistics still need to be understood before he cN promise this.

Adam is most looking forward to meeting with people from all campuses and engaging with the widest variety of students possible.

Luke Norman

To read Adam’s manifesto, head to the Student Leader Elections website.

Featured image: Daniel Norman

Follow our SU Elections 2017 coverage on Twitter and Facebook

CandidatesElectionsNewsSU Elections