[UN]KNOWN: A Look at CU’s Eventful Week

You probably saw the logo everywhere. From jumpers worn by countless members of the CU (Christian Union) to Facebook posts to dedicated flyer-ers standing outside Hallward library, the undeniably edgy label of [UN]KNOWN made its way all around Uni Park campus. But what exactly was it all about? Maddie De Soyza was there all along and can tell us just how valuable CU’s [UN]KNOWN week really was.

For those of you who don’t know (if that’s you, then I’d question whether you’ve been living under a rock for the past couple of weeks), [UN]KNOWN was a week of events hosted by UoN’s very own Christian Union, exploring whether there’s a God that knows us; whether He can be known by us, if this is the case; and finally, if any of this even matters.

Through a series of talks tackling big questions from science to suffering, the CU welcomed students from all backgrounds, religions and opinions and invited all of us to consider the topics we would ordinarily rather ignore.

“This is by no means an article to sway its readers’ views on faith, God or Christianity, just as CU events week was in no way forcing these things upon anyone.”

Interesting, to say the least. No matter what you believe, it’s safe to say that these events reached a fair amount of people. For the more philosophical among us, perhaps this was because of a genuine interest in what the undoubtedly talented speakers had to say about the deeper questions that we all find ourselves asking in life.

For the hungrier and slightly more skint students, the appeal may have been solely the free food. Whatever it was, the talks certainly got people thinking. One atheist student found herself amazed at the sheer amount of people attending the talks, as well as the size of the Christian Union itself: “I keep seeing those jumpers everywhere!” She found herself questioning how and why such a large amount of people were so enthusiastic about this Jesus figure, despite being so certain of her own stance on Him.

“Too often, as the busy students we are, we give little time to thinking about anything beyond deadlines and alcohol. Could it be that there’s more to life?”

This is by no means an article to sway its readers’ views on faith, God or Christianity, just as CU events week was in no way forcing these things upon anyone. But what it did do, and what this article is a feeble attempt at, is invite people to question, to search, to consider. Too often, as the busy students we are, we give very little time to thinking about anything beyond deadlines and alcohol. Could it be that there’s more to life?

Whatever your opinion, [UN]KNOWN has had people from all backgrounds agreeing it was a brilliant week. The warm atmosphere inside the fairy-light-adorned marquee on the Downs welcomed all. Entertainment included the exquisite vocals of RadioOctave, from UoN’s Acapella Society; a hog roast that beat any halls’ dinner I’ve ever had; and to top it all off, a visit from Benjamina (Bake Off fans struggled to contain their excitement), who gave an interview on baking and how her faith has made a difference in her life, pre- and post-fame.

Jam-packed and interesting from start to finish, the hard work of the CU certainly paid off. Even if their message isn’t for you, I think we can all agree that the evident passion possessed by those that put on these kinds of events is, quite frankly, inspirational.

There’s something about having something to live for that seems to make life so much more exciting. I’d invite you to consider what that something is for you.

Maddie De Soyza

Follow @ImpactFeatures or like the Impact Features Facebook page for more updates in the world of Features.