Varsity 2017 Preview: Archery

Last year the University of Nottingham dominated the Super Wednesday, winning all but one fixture, that one was archery. This year archery again falls on Super Wednesday, but this year the Green and Gold of UoN will be out for revenge.

An excellent season so far was capped of with our archers getting eighteen BUCS points in the recent tournament. They ended up finishing 4th, 8th and 3rd in their various games. Competing in the same league as Trent this season, the Green and Gold of UoN have been able to get up close and personal with their Varsity counterparts, beating them in the hit and miss format but losing in the mixed.

Overall, the assessment from Archery is that their women’s team have grown stronger and stronger. They have a great deal of experience in their team which has helped them be very competitive this year. In comparison the men’s team has found it harder since September when several of their key archers graduated. However, the new cohort has come in, improving as the year has progressed and there is no doubt they’ll be excited for their first Varsity clash!

“Varsity is a lot more intense because its just the two teams. We’ve been pretty competitive with them all year so we’re hopeful of a good result.”

Speaking to publicity secretary Lizzie Elmer, she described how the rivalry is heightened during Varsity, “it [Varsity] is a lot more intense because there is just the two teams. We’ve been pretty competitive with them all year so we’re hopeful of a good result.” It will be interesting to see if UoN can seek revenge over Trent this year.

The format of Varsity allows for a great deal of crowd participation. Like any other Varsity event, the crowd will be extremely important in driving our archers forward. Home advantage may play a big role as well.

With both teams competing on many occasions throughout the year, they will know each other well enough by now. This one is extremely hard to predict because they have been so close to each other in the normal season. Lizzie also said it’ll be tough to call but is predicting a Green and Gold victory but I think Trent will just have the edge because some of our best archers cannot compete due to course commitments.

Amar Mehta

Follow @ImpactVarsity17 on Twitter and Like ImpactSport on Facebook

SportVarsity