A student has allegedly been taken to hospital after a fire broke out in a block that forms part of the Raleigh Park student hall on Faraday Road.

A spokesperson for the Nottingham Fire & Rescue Service confirmed that they responded to a call at 6.06am for a fire in the kitchen of a flat on the third floor of a block at Raleigh Park.

A fire engine and two police cars attended the scene, and remained situated at Raleigh Park hall at 11.30 this morning.

An eye witness told Impact that a man staying in the flat has been taken to City Hospital, and is believed to have been sleeping in the kitchen when the fire occurred.

The nature of his injuries are not yet known.

“When I finally got into the room, I managed to get down low so I was below the smoke”

Jacob Cheathin, a fourth-year Marketing student and resident in the flat, said: “I went to get some water and saw black smoke, so I knocked on everyone’s doors to get everyone out, and then found out that someone was still in the kitchen. I tried to get through the door, but it was too hot.

“When I finally got into the room, I managed to get down low so I was below the smoke, and grabbed a raincoat to clear some smoke, and found the person on the floor in the centre of the room.”

Peter Adams, a fourth-year Finance student, added: “Jacob woke the whole building up with his screaming just after 6 am. Everyone headed outside, and Jacob believed that someone was still in there. He managed to get him out and we carried him outside.”

Residents of the block, at the time of writing, are still waiting to return to their rooms.

More to follow.

Connor Higgs

Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons. License here.

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter.

Previous post

Vice-Chancellor and SU President issue letter to students following incidents of anti-social behaviour

Next post

The 21st Century’s 10 Greatest Films: Children of Men

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.