Frisbee team deliver Ultimate Green and Gold glory on Super Wednesday

In a match that the University of Nottingham were expected to win, they delivered. Defeating Nottingham Trent 15-9, contributing to the overall 8-2 scoreline on the day on another successful Super Wednesday for the Green and Gold.

The University of Nottingham boast one of the best Ultimate Frisbee teams in the country, so it wasn’t a surprise to anyone when they ran out winners at the Lee Westwood Sports Centre off the back of winning the Division 2 nationals and finishing a comfortable 4th in BUCS Division Midlands 1A.

Nottingham Trent meanwhile came second in their division with 24 points, six more than the UoN second team in BUCS Midlands 2B, although the teams were a division apart on Super Wednesday, NTU certainly had form on their side going into the contest.

Captain George Gayton said before the match that “the team have been gelling well lately which bodes well going into the fixture. It’s business as normal going into it and we’re certainly confident we can win.”

However, despite the gulf in quality between the two Nottingham sides, the opening quarter was a close and cagey affair; with neither team seeming able to create any rhythm to their play.

Despite maybe not being as dominant as they would have liked in the opening stages, the Green and Gold still took a healthy 4-1 lead into the second quarter of the match.

From this point, Uni of kicked on and opened up an unassailable lead over their rivals. Stand out performances by Joe Gates, George Gayton and Emma Bezant, both on the offensive and defensive side of play, showcased the talent the Green and Gold had at their disposal.

Although Trent defended valiantly, intercepting many of UoN attempts at goal, Uni of’s attacking prowess proved too much as they took a 9-3 lead into the half time interval.

After half time, UoNU seemed to take their foot of the gas, throwing lefty high release throws and scobbers to each other; much like playing Frisbee in the park. While Trent worked hard after the halftime talk where they must have discussed their issues and worked out how to fix them.

Some very strong connections between the Trent guys, particularly Michael Paul and Sam Pitt, meant the second half ended 6-6 but the strong lead built up already by UoNU meant they were unsurprisingly triumphant in this varsity match up.

Alex Buxton

Image courtesy of Impact Images

Follow @ImpactVarsity17 on Twitter and Like Impact Sport on Facebook. Check out the sport section of the Impact Magazine website to see all the previews and match reports from the entire series.

SportVarsity