Son of Steak – The new generation of steak has arrived

If you haven’t yet explored the many gems of Nottingham, Trinity Square is where your adventures should begin, starting with Son of Steak – a magnificent up and coming steakhouse. This restaurant has steak like no other and truly shows that it is how you cook a steak that makes a steak what it is. So, cut back on the mass of seasoning and peppercorn sauce folks because your steak life is about to get awesome.

As soon as you walk into Son of Steak you can feel the awesomeness emanate. Chilled music flows throughout the restaurant, dim lighting creates an air of privacy and relaxation and the open floor plan allows customers to glide past any table without the need to breathe in. Everything conveys a ‘back to basics’ feel, from the corrugated metal ceiling to the steel and wooden dining areas.

APPETISERS

Kick-start your flavour journey with strange but endearing appetisers. From the cheesy intensity of gourmet popcorn to the traditional taste of marinated olives, Son of Steak has appetisers to suit all.

To complement the appetisers grace yourself with the refreshing flavours of a Bacardi Mojito or Strawberry and Basil Lemonade (they are both on tap by the way!).

BRUNCH

Full of back-biting flavours and a craze of textures, the brunch menu is sure to shake away that morning brain.

Smoked Streaky Bacon, Onion, Spinach and Egg Potato Hash: Son of Steak hits the nail on the head producing a neither dry nor greasy dish, just pure perfection.

Red Pepper, Onion, Spinach and Avocado Potato Hash: As a profound meat-eater, I can honestly say that this veggie hash beats the bacon. A smoky flavour envelops the dish, introducing us vegetarians to a proper BBQ taste.                                                        

MAINS

Gorge yourself on meat galore; there is plenty of steak to choose from after all! This course will attack your palate with a variety of flavours from classic and rich to western and oriental. If you’re fancying something new or very keen on tradition, these mains are sure to delight your taste buds.

6oz Flat Iron Steak: Sealed on a flat top grill with butter/oil, flash-fried and put into a Josper oven to finish, each steak is cooked down to the minute – medium rare and beautifully tender with a slight chew. A pinch of sea salt is all the flavour necessary.

Bao Burger: If you are into weird and wonderful then this burger is for you. With strong, oriental aromas this burger brings more spice to the menu. The meat is a little tough and the bun a strange pancake-like dough.

SIDES

To take the edge away from the meaty madness, order a delectable side dish. Choose from standard and gourmet options that will unleash raw and natural aesthetics, all the while giving you the home comfort feeling that you crave.

Albert Bartlet Rooster Chips: Freshly washed and chipped on the day and with the skin on, fibrous flavours and textures are abundant. Simply season with salt.

Beef Dripping Gravy: We were surrounded by rich, salty aromas within seconds of serving. The best chip-dipping gravy ever, unless you detest everything about salt! A sauce northerners will truly appreciate.

DESSERT

From the menu it is evident that Son of Steak is not a dessert specialist with only 3 options to speculate over. Only one deserves to be frantically raved about – yes, I am talking about the beloved Fro-yo! It is the best thing since life’s first breath and with the choice of 4 sauces you can jazz up your dessert like no other.

And that’s a wrap! Our stomachs bulging with over-indulgence we waddled away from our lengthy taste-testing with smiles on our faces and mojitos on our minds. Credit is due to the staff and manager at Son of Steak who all mucked in to ensure we had an extremely epic evening. Would I go back? HELL YEAH! I’m already planning date nights and birthday dinners here! It fits snugly into my student budget, so Son of Steak may end up seeing me a little too often.

Siobhan Davis

Phphotographs by Siobhan Davis and Megan Komoto

FoodFood ReviewsLifestyle