Nottingham graduates are experiencing a rise in average salary

According to the Longitudinal Education Outcomes (LEO) data, graduates from the University of Nottingham are earning more than previous years.

The data, published by the Department for Education, analyses 23 different subject areas to show how much higher education graduates are earning one, three, five and ten years since graduating.

In 15 of the subject areas, the median salary for Nottingham graduates has increased between one and five years after graduation.

“It is encouraging to see a healthy rise in average salary for Nottingham graduates between one and five years after graduation”

From all the higher education institutions included in this data, English, Medicine and Social Studies from UoN were ranked 3rd, 4th and 5th respectively for high graduate earners after five years. Mathematical sciences and economics were ranked 8th and 9th respectively.

Frenie Hilado, a first year International Media and Communication student, told Impact: “This is encouraging news to hear but it is important to remember that it is not only your subject area or from what institution that you studied in that influences your average salary.”

Within five years of completing their degree, graduates from Medicine are expected to get £48,500, graduates from economics are presumed to earn an average of £47,900 and £39,400 for graduates of Mathematical Sciences.

“the highest average graduate salaries after 5 years are found within the Russell Group”

Dr Paul Greatrix, Registrar at the UoN, said: “It is encouraging to see a healthy rise in average salary for Nottingham graduates between one and five years after graduation. Median earnings vary between subjects, as would be expected, but it is good to see Nottingham’s graduates faring very well compared with graduates from other universities across nearly all our subjects.”

In 18 of the 23 subjects presented in the data, the highest average graduate salaries after 5 years are found within the Russell Group, which UoN is included in.

Dr Tim Bradshaw, acting Director of the Russell Group, said: “Russell Group graduates benefit from high average incomes after they leave university”.

Sarah Lindgärde 

Featured image courtesy of ‘Shamraze/Nuhaize‘ via Flickr. License here.

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter for more updates and information on how to get involved.