Michelle Halket and I had been in contact regarding a poet and their writings that Halket’s built-from-the-ground-up publishing house, Central Avenue, personally releases. I decided to take the opportunity to ask her a few questions concerning the industry of publishing, as it is a popular choice for English (or any) graduates to enter upon entry into reality. Having attended the Spotlight On: Publishing event at the University of Nottingham in Autumn semester, I thought getting some first-hand insight would be valuable to current students,  graduates, or anyone interested in pursuing a career in publishing (or any career involving books, for that matter)!

How long have you been in the industry?

Almost 9 years.

I understand that you haven’t always been a part of the publishing industry.  How did you get from your previous job role and industry to where you are now?

I had decided to leave my former role in market research for a large multinational company. I took a few months off and in those months decided that I wanted to do something on my own and in a field that I was passionate about. It was a discussion with a colleague where we talked about how difficult it was for authors to get published and that conversation coupled with a basic knowledge of the ease and relatively low cost of digital publishing that set me on the road to where I am now.

What was it about the publishing industry that enticed you?  Did you always have a passion for books?

I’ve always been an avid reader. I can remember where I was when I read a particular book that resonated with me. I really knew nothing about the industry when I started, and I think that was a good thing. Otherwise, I might have been scared off!

“I’ve seen many authors become publishers, only to fail a few years later…”

What is your favourite book (whether you’ve published it or not), and why?

Oh, that’s a hard question since there’s so many. I always loved Little House on the Prairie when I was a kid. As a younger woman, I fell in love with Interview With the Vampire and a lot of Anne Rice’s books. Recently, I really grooved on The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. As for books I’ve published, I can’t choose, it’d be like saying which of my children is my favourite.

What is your opinion, from a publisher’s perspective, on the ever-debated “real books” vs. eBooks? 

Oh, I had so many discussions and thoughts about this when I was only publishing ebooks. If it weren’t for ebooks, I would never have had the start I did in the industry. Back then, it was easy to see where the market would go with them and those who discounted them were fools. That said, I really don’t see the difference between them. It’d be like arguing that hard covers are more of a book than paper backs. It’s the same content, no matter the format. There’s a lot of garbage in the digital market, and there also is in the print segment.

“…I wanted to do something on my own and in a field that I was passionate about.”

I see creating both formats as complementary and necessary to the publishing process. Now that I’m where I’m at, I don’t know that I would ever publish a book only in digital formats anymore since I like seeing our books in stores and getting reviewed and accepted by the trade. That acceptance doesn’t happen for digital only books. 

Here at The University of Nottingham, we did a Spotlight On: Publishing event, where different employees of publishers with various job roles came in and discussed their experiences.  Do you think this sort of event is useful?  If so, why?

I think that would be a very beneficial event indeed. I believe that it’s easy to fall in love with the romance of creating books and not see the business behind it. I’ve seen many authors become publishers, only to fail a few years later because they didn’t realize all the aspects that came with running this type of business. I’m still learning myself, and I try to approach the business with the left side of my brain and leave the romance and creativity to the talented authors and illustrators I work with.

In a nutshell, follow your gut. If you don’t get it right first time, there is always another path you can take.

Louise Baker

Image credit The Marmot via Flickr

England go marching on to semis in ICC Champions Trophy with wins over New Zealand and Australia

Crystal Quest: A 5D Adventure @ Nottingham New Theatre