Trailer Watch: The Greatest Showman

Despite missing out at the top gong of this year’s Oscars, La La Land’s unprecedented success has still managed to cause ripples in Hollywood’s lake of cinematic universes and delayed sequels. To add to those ripples is the sudden rise of musical films currently in production, such as a new remake of A Star is Born, another Mary Poppins Returns and, of course, The Greatest Showman.

Hugh Jackman stars as P. T. Barnum, the nineteenth-century showman who convinced those on the very margins of society, to join him in forming the Barnum & Bailey Circus. Not only did he and his troop entertain audiences across America, but Barnum also significantly contributed to the birth of show business.

“Jackman’s ability to command the stage will, no doubt, aid his performance as the eponymous greatest showman.”

Much like Barnum and his circus, Michael Gracey has gathered a company of attractive qualities for his directorial debut. Already proving those vocal chops in his Oscar-nominated performance as Jean Valjean in 2012’s Les Miserables, Jackman plays the precise role for an actor of such versatility. Jackman’s ability to command the stage will, no doubt, aid his performance as the eponymous greatest showman.

The trailer alone suggests that Jackman and the rest of the cast – including Michelle Williams, Zac Efron and Rebecca Ferguson. Broadway stars also make an appearance such as the songstress, Keala Settle (with an incredible voice to be heard via trailer) and Will Swenson. And after watching each cast member, their radiating aura of infectious fun appears without a doubt noticeable.

“. . .the first trailer for this film has certainly raised expectations. . . “

Although one may be a tad skeptical of an original movie musical, the involvement of songwriters Pasek and Paul should be enough to placate any qualms. Coming off an Oscar win for the song “City of Stars” from La La Land earlier this year, and a Tony Award last month for Dear Evan Hansens sublime score, hopefully, this will add to their banner in the coming year.

From its release date, it seems Fox will be eager for a classic awards-run. Regardless of that though, the first trailer for this film has certainly raised expectations; with this cast and crew, it’s impossible not to be excited.

The Greatest Showman will be playing in UK cinemas on 1st January 2018.

Sarah Quraishi

Media sourced from YouTube

Feature image courtesy of 20th Century Fox