The University of Nottingham nominated in the ‘Oscars’ of higher education

The University of Nottingham (UoN) is shortlisted in two categories for the Times Higher Education Awards 2017.

The event is known as the ‘Oscars of the higher education sector’ and the UoN has been shortlisted for ‘Outstanding Research Supervisor of the Year’ and ‘International Collaboration of the Year’.

Gerardo Adesso, Professor of the School of Mathematical Sciences, was nominated for the ‘Outstanding Research Supervisor of the Year’ category for “[h]is world-class research and reputation around quantum correlations, and his charismatic leadership.”

“I am humbled and honoured to receive this nomination, which comes as a surprise!”

The award is given to “the individual who has created the most supportive, stimulating and inspirational research environment for doctoral students.”

Professor Adesso, said: “I am humbled and honoured to receive this nomination, which comes as a surprise! Huge thanks go to my current and former PhD students, who are a constant source of excitement, support, challenge, and reward. Having the privilege to guide them helps me mature every day as a scientist as well as a human being.”

The School of Pharmacy at the University of Nottingham has also been nominated for the ‘International Collaboration of the Year Award’.

“The award ‘recognises exceptional projects carried out jointly between a UK institution and one or more international partners’”

The award “recognises exceptional projects carried out jointly between a UK institution and one or more international partners.”

The School of Pharmacy’s partnership with the Tianjin University of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TUTCM) is “the first joint UK-China pharmacy undergraduate degree programme.”

Professor Stephanie Allen, Director of Teaching and Learning in the School of Pharmacy, said: “Innovation in education and research is central to the School of Pharmacy’s mission and we are excited to be working with TUTCM on the delivery of this new course in International Pharmacy; it presents us with a valuable new opportunity to learn about pharmacy and its related practices in China.”

Sarah Lindgärde

Featured image courtesy of ‘Matt Buck’ via Flickr. License here.
Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter for more updates and information on how to get involved.