University students going out less than what their parents did

SAMSUNG

In a recent survey conducted by Nationwide, it concluded that our generation of students go out less than our parents did. Instead, students choose to stay in.

The Nationwide FlexStudent Poll surveyed 1,000 current students and 1,000 parental graduates on going out, financial matters, and how students spend their time.

The survey found that on average this generation of students tend to go out less than our parents did, with money being the main reason as to why. With 42% of parents who went out more than three times a week, compared to just 31% of us going out more than three times a week.

“The survey doesn’t indicate that we are socialising any less by not going out, rather, today’s student prefers to socialise at home”

According to the survey, the top things that we do at university are watch films and T.V (36%), study (22%) and go out (18%). Whilst the top things that our parents did were similar, but in a completely different order: studying (38%), going out (23%) and watching films and T.V (17%).

Although, this difference can be quite easily explained by the growth of technology in the last few decades that have made films and T.V more accessible to students.

The survey doesn’t indicate that we are socialising any less by not going out, rather, today’s student prefers to socialise at home.

The survey shows that students drink just as much as their parents did when they were at university (with 10 units of alcohol being consumed a week by us, whilst our parents consumed 11 units). In addition, the same amount of us are teetotal as our parents’ generation, with the figure at 21% for both.

“The survey shows that students drink just as much as their parents did when they were at university”

Nationwide FlexStudent Poll even discovered how this generation of student’s financial situation differs from their parents.

Compared to our parents most of us have a student loan, 91% compared to the 48% of our parents.

The survey also found that our generation tends to rely much more on borrowing money than previous generations, with the survey finding that 58% of us borrow money, with parents being the biggest lenders at 46%. Whilst our parents tended to not borrow as much money, with 71% admitting to never borrowing any money.

Chelle Williams

Featured image courtesy of ‘sfu.marcin’ via Flickr. License here.
Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter for more updates and information on how to get involved.