Nottingham considered one of the “safest” places for a night out

For the eighth year running Nottingham has achieved Purple Flag status for being one of the safest cities to go out in the UK.

The Purple Flag is an accreditation system that awards cities that strive to keep safety as number one in the management of the evening and night-time economy.

Impact talked to Niamh Milliner, a second-year English and French student, about her experience: “I’ve never felt scared on a night out [since] there’s always people around and lots of other students. The only people that sometimes make me feel unsafe are the bouncers.”

“I’ve never felt scared on a night out”

Complaints about bouncers are not uncommon. In February of last year, a University of Nottingham (UoN) student posted her complaints on the Buy/sell tickets page about an uncomfortable confrontation with a bouncer that took place outside of Rock City.

The University of Nottingham has worked in liaison with police and taxi services to create schemes that put student safety as a priority.

Such arrangements include the UoN Emergency Taxi Scheme that ensures a safe ride home for students that find themselves in difficult situations.

“I want people to have an entertaining, safe and enjoyable night out”

Nottinghamshire Police and Crime Commissioner, Paddy Tipping, said: “I want people to have an entertaining, safe and enjoyable night out in well-run venues where [people] can relax and have fun.”

[socialpoll id=”2466393″]

Miranda Etkind

Images courtesy of ‘Tc7’ and ‘Michel Curi’ via Flickr. License here.
Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter for more updates and information on how to get involved.