RATE YOUR PLATE @ Long Island

Last week, Impact Food ventured to one of Nottingham’s newest American Diners, Long Island. From flags to food and checkered table toppers to Elvis Presley, this spacious and stylish diner has a real American feel.

The extensive menu of meaty dishes was right up our street, with a tasty array of classic American hotdogs, burgers and breakfasts. After considering whether we were quite brave enough to try any of the more adventurous dishes like The King – a 100% beef burger smothered in peanut butter and fried sliced banana – we eventually settled on sinking our teeth into The Kentucky Burger.

The meal was displayed in all of its American glory on a large paper napkin, with a generous US sized portion of seasoned chips. The two chicken breasts were fresh from the grill, topped with salad, smoky bacon, and finger lickin’ BBQ bourbon sauce. The only problem I faced was fitting such a colossal burger into my mouth, but needless to say, I won the battle.

If you’re looking for an atmospheric American Diner with a touch of class, then you should certainly come along to Long Island during its evening dinner hours.

We also couldn’t help but sample The Harley Slider. Due to it’s more than student friendly price tag, we weren’t expecting great things in terms of size, however, the three flavoursome slider buns were pretty sizeable. The plate included a beef burger with smoked bacon and mozzarella, a chorizo and mozzarella burger, and our personal favourite BBQ pulled pork burger with jalapenos. Although we could not fault the food or the service, one McDonald’s sized portion of BBQ sauce for a table of two was a little stingy.

The diner was relatively quiet during our lunchtime visit at 2.30pm, though walking past Long Island later that evening, its audience was vast. The diner also transforms into a club on Friday and Saturday nights where they have an extensive drinks menu, including a variety of wines, bottled drinks and cocktails. Be sure to mention your interest in attending its club when you eat in during the day as the staff will be more than happy to organise free entry for you. Bonus!

If you are looking for an atmospheric American Diner with a touch of class, then you should certainly come along to Long Island during its evening dinner hours. Y’all be missing out if you don’t.

Alexandra House,
26-28 Market St,
Nottingham,
NG1 6HW
Tel: 0115 958 2501

Image Credit: mtaylorz11 via Flickr

Share your food views and reviews with Impact Food at food@impactnottingham.com

Heather Corser

FoodFood Reviews