Phil Hughes: Cricket mourns the passing of a great talent

Overnight, the cricketing world stood still to mourn the passing of 25 year old Australian batsman, Philip Hughes. Hughes was playing for South Australia in a game against New South Wales on Tuesday, when he was hit by a bouncer in the back of the head. A few seconds after the impact, the opener collapsed, hitting the ground face-first.

According to the Australian team doctor, Hughes never regained consciousness, remaining in a coma. Overnight, a statement was released informing the public of his passing. While this might raise issues for some regarding the nature of protective equipment, it has to be considered a freak accident, one that could never have been foreseen.

Tributes have been flooding in for the Australian batsman, including those from his South-Australia team mates, Australia captain Michael Clarke and the Australian prime-minister, Tony Abbott

Tributes have been flooding in for the Australian batsman, including those from his South-Australia team mates, Australia captain Michael Clarke and the Australian prime-minister, Tony Abbott. The news has shocked the cricketing world and the sports community as a whole, with a fitting amount of respect being paid to Hughes, his family and his friends.

Philip Hughes’ career was one that should be celebrated by cricket fans and non-cricket fans alike. After making 75 on his test début against South Africa in 2009, Hughes went on to score a hundred in both innings of just his second test match: he was the youngest player to do so, at just 20 years and 98 days old. The left-hander also made a century in his ODI début against Sri Lanka in 2013, hitting 112, and became the first Australian man to hit 200 in a 50 over game a year later.

Dynamic and an incredibly exciting cricketer to watch, by all accounts Hughes was a grounded and down-to-earth sportsman. After his phenomenal début tour of South Africa, he returned home to help his father work on his banana plantation. According to an interview conducted by Channel 7, Hughes’ aspirations post-retirement consisted of owning stud cattle farm with his father.

Brett Lee, Stuart Clark and Stuart Broad are among the fast bowlers who have come out to support Abbott, and all of them have been quick to state that the fast bowler should not take any blame for the incident

A thought should also be spared for bowled Sean Abbott, who sent down the delivery. The 22 year old was one of the of the first New South Wales players to go and check on Hughes after the impact, keen to check on his well-being. He was seen leaving the hospital surrounded by consoling friends, and has also received a large amount of verbal support. Brett Lee, Stuart Clark and Stuart Broad are among the fast bowlers who have come out to support Abbott, and all of them have been quick to state that the fast bowler should not take any blame for the incident. Abbott has shown an incredible amount of promise in recent months, having made his début for the national side against Pakistan last month.

All in all, the last few days have been incredibly sad ones for the world of cricket. A talented and grounded individual, Phil Hughes will undoubtedly always be remembered by Australians, cricketers and people around the world. Rest in peace.

Alex Stockton

Follow Impact Sport on Twitter and Facebook

Image courtesy of Getty Images