Top Hat @ Theatre Royal

(Top) Hats off to this show-stopping stage adaptation of the 1935 screwball comedy musical film, in which elaborate dance numbers, eye-catching set design and hilarious one-liners prove that anything film can do, theatre can do better.

Top Hat tells the story of American dancer Jerry Travers who becomes infatuated by socialite Dale Tremont after an initially prickly first meeting. A few romantic dance sequences later they fall in love, but mistaken identities and unsuitable marriages threaten the couple’s happy ending. Alan Burkitt and Charlotte Gooch, who played Jerry Travers and Dale Tremont respectively, were phenomenal in their roles, really selling their fiery relationship, and imbuing their scenes together with an electric chemistry. Providing much of the humour were the show’s secondary couple, Horace Hardwick (Clive Hayward) and his wife Madge (Rebecca Thornhill) who traded witty barbs as well as the occasional punch.

Alan Burkitt and Charlotte Gooch, who played Jerry Travers and Dale Tremont respectively, were phenomenal in their roles

Hardwick’s valet Bates (John Conroy) got some of the biggest laughs of the night for his camouflage “abilities”, spying on Dale Tremont at Hardwick’s request with an array of disguises, a running joke that becomes a crucial plot point later on. Even Alberto Beddini (Sebastion Torkia), whose character was one the play’s weakest roles due to the actor’s terrible attempts at an Italian accent, warmed up in the second act after being given more material to work with. Unfortunately, this material included an extremely bizarre strip-show that the older ladies in the audience enjoyed far too much. With an ensemble cast of 23, the choreography was an absolute highlight as dancers performed sensational tap routines to great visual effect, bolstered by Jon Morrell’s colourful and glamourous costume designs.

The choreography was an absolute highlight as dancers performed sensational tap routines to great visual effect

The real star of the show, however, was set designer Hildegard Bechtler whose name alone hints at artistic genius. The intricately designed set pieces and Venetian backdrops really sold the lavish lifestyle that the characters inhabit and a large moveable panel that fitted across the stage enabled behind-the scene changes and seamless scene transitions. By using this panel to partition off bits of the stage, the director (Matthew White) was also able to produce convincing plane journeys and carriage rides on stage, demonstrating that theatre adaptations of films need not be restricted by the medium.

The real star of the show, however, was set designer Hildegard Bechtler

My only criticism was that the ending seemed a bit rushed as much of the plot was solved after Jerry quickly deduced the show’s main narrative conflict, despite the two hours of set up to create this scenario. Even so, this takes very little away from the overall enjoyment of the performance, which was a joy to watch and a fantastic musical experience that I would recommend to anyone who loves a good show tune.

Lexi Bowman

Top Hat is running at the Theatre Royal until Saturday 15th November for more information see here

Follow Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter