Style

Fall 2015 Trend Round-Up

Another fashion month is over and our wardrobe for fall/winter has been decided. The runway got mixed up with familiar faces from outside the industry, the front rows were star-studded (with newbies like North West and Taylor Swift and old regulars like Naomi Campbell – although the latter wasn’t necessarily always on time). All in all it was a fabulous season with a lot of diversity and character. Here is our roundup of the top five trends for fall:

INDIVIDUALITY

wang3

As our godmother-in-spirit Anna Wintour so eloquently put it “Trend is the dirtiest word in fashion” and we can only agree. Fashion should be all about individuality, about expressing yourself and being understood the way you want to be. Hence it only makes sense that designers are more and more concerned with sticking to what they know and keeping their own aesthetic alive. Ones that have managed that with ease this season were Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel with a runway set in a bistro and clothes that projected Coco above all else, but also designers like Alexander Wang and Ricardo Tisci for Givenchy. It doesn’t mean that their collections weren’t all very distinctly FW15 but that none of them looked or felt the same.

ROMANTICISM

given

Imagine heavy fabrics like patchworks, high necks, a lot of black, fur,… some called it a certain feel of mourning, some call it Romanticism. Whatever you want to call it, there is an undeniable move away from the obvious sexiness and towards a more covered up look – a more mature woman maybe. Ricardo Tisci is a prime example who dubbed his late 19thcentury inspired collection mixed with the vibe of a Californian subculture “Chola Victorian”.  Overall there was a vintagy feel to a lot of the collections that inspired us to experiment with new fabrics.

TWEED

tweed1
Tweed is a fall staple and ever so fabulously British. Also, it was everywhere: Erdem, Prada, MaxMara, Dior, Simone Rocha, Sacai… and of course Chanel (no surprises there). And it doesn’t have to be all black and white either (although you obviously can’t go wrong with a classic Chanel tweed). Take a leaf out of Miuccia and go pale yellow or green.

80’S FLAIR

80'sflaire2

It was bound to happen – after this summer’s 70s revival and last fall’s 90s, the limelight is now on the 80s. Do it like JW Anderson, Miu Miu and Saint Laurent: re-watch Grease, listen to Cyndi Lauper and embrace it! (do learn from your mother’s mistakes though and tone down the hair a bit and there is really only so far you should go with shoulder pads…)

HAVE FUN WITH IT

Have fun with it - valentino credits Getty images

To all involved the fashion month is long and exhausting and it is easy to take it a little bit too seriously and forget that at the end of the day fashion is meant to make us feel good. It’s meant to be fun. Which is why these shows weren’t just among the most talked about and instagrammed ones but also the most enjoyable ones. John Galliano’s hunchback models weren’t just a statement but gave life to the clothes, the selfie taking models of Libertine gave us a rare natural smile and Valentino sent Zoolander’s Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson down runway. So for fall try to remember that fashion is all about fun.

Raphaela Ring

Follow Impact Style on TwitterFacebook and Instagram

Images: Getty Images, Style.com

Style